Wiring up a house

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by thedude, Jun 9, 2015.

1. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    Hi guys I'm moving shortly to a new property and wanted to set up the house so it was all done and dusted.
    I want to put speakers in all the bedrooms in the ceilings in order to save some space in the future. I also want to put in cat5e cables into each room as well so I don't have to contend with wireless as I feel this will be more reliable as the kids get older.

So my questions are what have people done to minimise disruption in the house whilst this goes on and what have you done to get it in each room? Also what have you used to pipe music to the rooms to do this as well, would be cool to use video as well to each room but let's take one step at a time ;)

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    The key is running as many Cat6 (may as well use it rather than cat5e) to each room as you need minimum 3, then you can add video later easily.

Sonos Connect Amps for music around the house, we like having a number of them centrally located with all speaker wires run back to a central point (others may disagree)

As regards disruption get it all done in one go and send the family away for a few days

3. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    any tips for running cables through walls? ever done loft to ground floor without going outside?

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Depends on the walls , channel out and replaster or run inside cavity

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,577
    Best tip having noted the minimal mess/disruption requirement would be to bring in a pro who has the skills, knowledge and tools to make it happen with minimal disruption.

Getting tooled up for cabling a house can be expensive and the work can be time consuming if it's not your thing.

Design out your ultimate/ideal scenario and cable for that - as Seb says lots of cables or a mic of cables plus conduit is the best option.

For multi-room audio SONOS is hard to look past at the beget end of the market and may have you rethinking the 'wired' speakers and wired network!.

For multi-room HD Video wired (CAT6) is the only viable option.

Joe

6. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    One assumes that this gets really expensive if i start to use HDBaseT tech, where as if I just stick to using my server for films and music from it, this will be alot cheaper.

Good shout on a pro though Joe.

As for the Sonos i liked the idea of it, i just fancied something wired and different. I don't know enough about Sonos, i really wanted to have some ceiling speakers in the rooms to keep the childrens hands off them.

7. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Depends how you judge expensive and what you are trying to do with video distribution

Sonos can be used and wired both for ceiling speakers and network connection

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,577
    SONOS have a range of models/options so not a problem to have 'installed' speakers with a local or centralised Zone Player.

Pulling content to a local Player from a centralised media drive can be less costly than sending Video & Audio over HDBT - many folk have a mix of both unless it is solely downloaded or 'ripped' content rather than viewing live broadcasts.

Joe

9. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    Hi guys, yeah it will be only downloaded content and my ripped CD collection.

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,577
    Then a Matrix ( HDBT or otherwise) is potentially not the required solution.

What you require is a fast wired IP network, decent data storage (with the ability to server multiple Players simultaneously) and suitable Media Players (streamers) in each Zone (for Video that could mean choosing TV's with inbuilt media playback) - oh and an IT technician :)

Joe

11. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    Some custom PCs I think are in order running Kodi! That way they look good as well. Now to figure what to use to power the speakers in each room

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,577
    Forget about how the hardware looks (unless it's just you in the house :)) what matters here is how easy it is to find and control the content and how stable a solution it is - otherwise you end up with a load of bricks and an unhappy household.

I can't imagine anything worse than looking after a pile of PC's and unhappy 'customers' !

Audio is relatively simple if it is for music only - throw video into the mix and it gets more complex as you now have to keep sound and vision in-sync.

Keeping things 'in-sync' also becomes a priority for music if you have open plan areas or like to have the same music shared across multiple 'public' zones when in 'party' or Grouped mode - that stuff is child's play for SONOS but a real struggle for most (all) PC based solutions.

Depending on how you use the house it may be simpler to use something like SONOS for multi-zone music playback and then a separate player for Video media - though you may still have to work out how to integrate the video and music to installed speakers!

For Video a TV or BD Player with streaming capabilities in each Zone may be all you require - you can have YOUR full on PC based (I want to tweak it) system in whichever Zone you plan to use most often!

A house plan with room by room requirements, how many occupants and how you imagine using and controlling the system along with a budget would be good at this stage in the planning.

Rather than 'Installed' speakers in each Zone you may want to consider a Media Streamer + TV ( or TV with Media streaming) + a Soundbar + a SONOS connect music player - that would be a relatively 'affordable' solution which should be relatively simple to use and less reliant on your IT skills and time.

An example of a money no object, ready to go, user friendly system is Kaleidescape - Kaleidescape - Blu-ray and DVD movie servers

Joe

13. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    ha the Kaleidescape looks nice but well over kill for what i am needing i think.

I've already got two Rokus and Two small HTPCs at my disposal! and my children are 8 months and 2.8 years! so a little young im trying to sort out stuff before they get old old.

My living room and home cinema rooms will be easy to do with cat6 as they will be on the same level and the home cinema room will house the server and or nas and gigabyte switch and router.

Now running cat6 seems to be doable from what i have been reading and doing if i go under floor boards when replacing the carpet that will be fine i wont need to go up and round only the 1st floor and thats straight into a loft so there are hollow walls i can use for the cat6. Two sets of cat6 in each room terminated at the points for plug in and play for either smart TV's, or streaming boxes and HDMI over Cat6 eventually if i ever bother.

Now my point will be to get some speakers working for what they will be listening to in their rooms and for my room as well. Looking at the KEf IQ range of ceiling speakers. Now if i terminate them at walls that means i can use amps in rooms or can i use cat6 and other terminals or something else to get this to work.

14. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    We use the Kef ceiling speakers, generally with Sonos Connect Amps.

You can then terminate the speakers either centrally or in rooms and connect amps.

Do you not use any broadcast TV ?

15. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,915
    It's worth noting that:
    1. With 'mod taps' you can route phones through structured cabling.
    2. You always need more connections than you think.

16. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    Of course I use broadcast TV such as sky or virgin but I'm not worried about the kids having that in their rooms, prime and kodi should be enough for them. Plus sky go if they wanted to watch live tv. The extra cost of the tech for HDMI over cat6 is something to think about but its a luxury not an essential part of it.

17. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    No I understand, the reason why I asked was whilst running cables was that you may as well also put an coax aerial backbone in at the same time.

18. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    Ah a coax other than rubbish TV does it do anything you else? I don't know if the place has an aerials and I don't think I'll buy one if not

19. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,915
    You can use satellite cable for TV, gives you options.

20. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Also worth installing as a backup and handy when it comes to sell

21. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,915
    I'm probably going to be in that position soon, it helps.

22. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,070
    I'm going to have my living room system the other side of the living room to my kit out of site of IR. Any good suggestion's on what to use for IR as well?