Wiring to living room from under the stairs

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by JFRTDI, Mar 30, 2017.

1. JFRTDI

JFRTDI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +694
    Hi,

Shortly I will be moving into a house from an apartment and have ideas of putting my amplifier, ps4 and htpc under the stairs rather then having it on show in the living room.

I currently have it in a tv unit and control the amplifier and htpc/TV with a logitech harmony using a hp USB ir receiver.

I am also running a 15m hdmi cable to the bedroom from the amplifier output so I can watch the same stuff in the bedroom and this is controlled using 2 pyramid style ir transmitter/receivers (marmatek) I think?

So based on me wanting to have the equipment under the stairs, can anyone suggest the best way to do it.

I was thinking of just running a hdmi from the amp to the TV but then my problem would be the hp ir receiver that controls the htpc (mainly mediaportal) as its my main source for TV but the cable won't reach the living room to place ir under the TV? Is there such a thing as a USB extension?

I will also have a tv in the bedroom like now but I'm going to assume I'll need another pyramid ir receiver as one will need to be under the stairs transmitting to one in the living room and one in the bedroom receiving?

I did think about running network cables into hdmi extenders but wasn't sure if it's worth it given I can run a hd cable?

2. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,552
    How long do you need? Passive won't go far enough probably so active might be required?

20m USB 2.0 Active Extension Cable - M/F

You can put two of those together if you have lots of cash! :)

I think you can actively extend USB up to around 50m but again I don't suppose you need that much.

Mind you Maplin have a few 12m passive ones and claim you can daisy chain them to 60m! Much cheaper and seem to be available although discontinued

USB 2.0 A Male to A Female 12m - WEB ONLY | Maplin

3. JFRTDI

JFRTDI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +694
    Crikey, I don't think I'll be spending £90 on a USB cable [emoji23][emoji23] I'll have to look more into it because surely I can use the marmitek ones to control a Windows media center rather then having different ir receivers for diff jobs.

4. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,552
    The 12m ones were a bit cheaper :) :)

5. JFRTDI

JFRTDI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +694
    I've actually just realised I don't need an extended USB at all, what a tit. Its just come to me now that the USB ir receiver in the htpc can stay in that within the cupboard and I'd just put a marmitek transmitter in the cupboard with everything and then a receiver in the bedroom and living room. Maybe I over thought it to begin with.