1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiring Speakers - 5:1 or 7:1??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dazza7, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Dazza7

Dazza7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be in the process soon of wiring up my room for speakers, as the cables are going to be plastered in I want to get it right. At the moment I have the standard 5:1 setup, is it worth wiring a 7:1 setup? My amp has the option for surrounds and rear surrounds so that's not a problem. Is there much use for a 7:1 setup? I can't remember seeing any of my DVD's showing anything more than a 5:1 option.

Cheers

Darren

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,101
    If it's not too much hassle it's always best to future proof yourself. SO I would go for the full 7.1

3. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I was in this situation myself only 3 weeks ago. In the end went for 7.1 because I could. It costs more due to the extra cable and speakers, but i have several discs encoded in DTS ES. Blade II/III and LOTR ROTK for example. However i really dont notice hardly any difference, and maybe wouldn't have forked out for the extra speakers had i known. You can switch your amp into 6/7.1 manually for 5.1 films using DTS EX.
    I think it really comes down to your room layout if you will notice a big difference and if the cables are in the walls its kinda hit and miss for locations. but if your rooms larger and you sofa is quite far from the back wall (mine isn't) then it will probably be more beneficial anyway. And more and more films will come out in true 6.1 ES anyway.