Answered Wiring Sonoff Touch Smart light Switch

I'm an electrician and I'd agree with you.

Make sure you maintain continuity of those 2 wires, so either connect both to the N terminal on the switch or use a small length of cable to connect from the terminal to the switch

Hi,

Just about to start buying some of these, am I right in thinking I'm OK to go ahead with this? There seems to be a neutral (blue?) line in there? Can't think what else it could be but not an electrician so could do with assurance before I blow my lights :)

Hi there thinking about putting in smart switches to my home and after hearing about the neutral wire problem want a second opinion. I think my system is a standard relay, but have 3 neutral wires and three wires altogether coming to the switch. Would call an electrician but just wondered if somebody more experienced could tell me if that would be wasting my time. The pictures below show a 2 gang plug which I bought and the wiring in the switch in my house. Will the smart switch work in my house circuitry???Look forward to hearing from you... (see attached pictures)

Attachments

• 20190112_131600.jpg
    20190112_131600.jpg
    828 KB · Views: 331
  • 20190112_131635.jpg
    20190112_131635.jpg
    895.5 KB · Views: 292
  • 20190112_131643.jpg
    20190112_131643.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 274
  • 20190112_131809.jpg
    20190112_131809.jpg
    826.9 KB · Views: 281
  • 20190112_131832.jpg
    20190112_131832.jpg
    832.4 KB · Views: 294
  • relay.jpg
    relay.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 312
Hi again! Thanks @Jamie , great answer - and it helped me to get my kitchen lights wired up well.
I've bought a 2-gang switch for the 1st and 2nd floor (switch is on the middle floor but controls landing lights on 1st and 2nd floor). What it seems is that there are lives from both 1st and 2nd floor, and neutrals from both 1st and 2nd floor. As well as a tap off (another live and neutral) to the ground for the switch on the ground floor to be able to control the 1st floor landing lights. I've wired all the lives and neutrals together and the switched lives to the L1 and L2 sockets but that didn't work so I've returned it to the original state in it's original wiring configuration.

Does anyone have a clue whether it's possible to wire this Sonoff T1 switch up for 2 floors?

The only thing I can think of is to disregard a live and a neutral then shunt the remaining live and neutrals onto the second switch so that only one floor's AC is powering the switch (and therefore the lights).

Hi,

I'm attempting to update my light switch to a Smart Switch now I've got Amazon Echo.

I've pulled the back of the existing lightswitch and have a "Common" and "L1"

2 x Brown wires in Comm
1 x Black wire in L1

In the back of the Sonoff Touch Light Switch I have "Nin" "Lin" and "Lout"

Where does what cable go?

After reading & watching plenty of video's I think L1 goes to Live Out and Common goes to Live In?

Can anyone confirm? What/if anything goes to Nin? There is a Ground/Earth and also a blue wire in the box that doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Pics attached for reference.
Thanks
Hi there did you get your smart switch to work? I just don’t understand it!
I have 2 brown 1 grey 1 blue 1 black 2 brown & green/ yellow. Back of WiFi switch is N-in L-in and L-out and I am stuck! Electricians in my area are way too pricey...can you shed some light on the subject! Excuse the pun 🤪

I have 2 brown 1 grey 1 blue 1 black 2 brown & green/ yellow. Back of WiFi switch is N-in L-in and L-out and I am stuck! Electricians in my area are way too pricey...can you shed some light on the subject! Excuse the pun 🤪
Did you take any pictures of where the wires were connected originally or maybe label them. A clear picture might help. I suspect you don't have a nuetral at the switch based on those wires so you may be out of luck.

Hi there,

Yes, I have a number of Sonoff Light Switches around the home now along with far too many Echo's/Google Homes (I've just found 2 spare Echo Dots I didn't know about today!)

Unfortunately, I'm not an electrician, and there's too many different wires in your light switch for me to even begin (grey wire?!)

Hopefully someone will reply who knows their stuff, i'm glad this thread seems to have taken off to help others.

Did you take any pictures of where the wires were connected originally or maybe label them. A clear picture might help. I suspect you don't have a nuetral at the switch based on those wires so you may be out of luck.

Attachments

• 088FA022-FE19-410E-988D-C92CAC9151D9.jpeg
    088FA022-FE19-410E-988D-C92CAC9151D9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 178
It's not totally clear from the pictures you posted, but IF (and only if) that grey wire with a blue sleeve is connected to the blue wire in the choc block behind the switch and to nothing else, then I would assume that's a Neutral.

Assuming the above is correct, then wiring would be as follows:
N in = Grey & blue wires
L in = Brown wires
L out = Black wire
Earth = Green/Yellow wire

I'm definitely no electrician though, so take my advice with a pinch of salt until someone more knowledgeable confirms what I just wrote

Hi,

I'm attempting to update my light switch to a Smart Switch now I've got Amazon Echo.

I've pulled the back of the existing lightswitch and have a "Common" and "L1"

2 x Brown wires in Comm
1 x Black wire in L1

In the back of the Sonoff Touch Light Switch I have "Nin" "Lin" and "Lout"

Where does what cable go?

After reading & watching plenty of video's I think L1 goes to Live Out and Common goes to Live In?

Can anyone confirm? What/if anything goes to Nin? There is a Ground/Earth and also a blue wire in the box that doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Pics attached for reference.
Thanks
Just a thanks for this post. I’m a novice and this is exactly the same wiring conundrum I faced and I’ve just safely fitted my first switch using this approach 👍🏻

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom