Answered Wiring Sonoff Touch Smart light Switch

benhur999

Sorry to piggy back thread, but a lot of you really know this stuff!!! I’m getting power and the switch can be heard to turn on but no lights!!!! Any ideas?

Attachments

Jamie

Sheathed neutral wire looks like it's a switched live to me, so won't work.
Agreed, that's live and switched return, there's no neutral in that switch.

Beqi

Novice Member
Also piggy backing, hope that's ok
I think I know the answer but gonna ask anyway. We have a very old house, I have 3 wines to my switch, black, red and green/yellow. Will the sonoff work?

Jamie

Also piggy backing, hope that's ok
I think I know the answer but gonna ask anyway. We have a very old house, I have 3 wines to my switch, black, red and green/yellow. Will the sonoff work?
Short answer No

Long winded vebiage hopefully to help others understand what they're looking for.

I'd say no. If you've got a neutral in the switch you'd have a couple of extra wires in the appropriate colour (black on older houses, blue on newer ones) that are terminated together in a terminal block or twist on connector and not connected to the switch.
The black wire to the switch should technically have a piece of red sleeving on it to denote it's actually a (switched) live cable and not a neutral.

Jamie

Oh and PS. 3 wines to the switch, cheers (hic)

AndrewPearce007

Novice Member
Hi everyone, great thread and hoping you guys with knowledge and experience can help me out here. Looking to install sonoff switch but after reading this I’m not sure it will work. I have a passage way with 3 x leds in ceiling. I have 3 light switches in passage way all turning the 3 x less on/off. I have taken light switch off wall and see 2 wires going into com. Wires going into L1 and L2. There is a block with I think 3 blue wires going into it. Do I have the ability to install this sonoff? If I can, how do I wire this up as the sonoff only has live in and live out?! Just taken off light switch. There 2 brown going into com, 1 x grey going into L2, 1 x black going into L1. Both L1/2 have a brown sheath. Neutral attached to plate ground. I know this is a tad more complicated than the norm but am able to sort or just forget this solution? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

AndrewPearce007

Novice Member
I’m I correct in thinking both L1and L2 go into live out on the sonoff switch. 2x brown in com go into Live in and 3x blue in block go into neutral?

Jamie

Hi there, What about my wiring, will works. Check pics please. Thanks
I can't see a nuetral, if there was a nuetral it would invariably be terminated in a separate terminal block.

Also what the hell is going on with that short bit of T&E on the right? Is that live and is that how you found it?

kriscozy

Novice Member
The short ones on top right was there isolated, I just open to check about N, just red is live, black don't know how to check it.

Jamie

The short ones on top right was there isolated, I just open to check about N, just red is live, black don't know how to check it.
Well that's a relief.
I'm still doubtful that there's a neutral there TBH. My guess that is probably a live and switched return to a defunct light somewhere.

amkhan

Just to point out for those who find they dont have the neutral in the switch, all is NOT lost. You can find the SONOFF at the ceiling rose instead. Yes its a bit of a faff but it IS possible.

Example here

Will84

Novice Member
Hi,
First post hope it’s okay to use this thread.
I have looked at all my switches and all have no neutrals appears as there are two wires a black and red with the earth going into the casing thing.
However on my landing above a socket is the following wiring, is there a way to get this to work with the Sonoff?

Thanks
Will

Attachments

inkymortar

Standard Member
Another person asking for advice - this thread has really helped me avoid tearing my hair out for now.

I have a slightly different setup in that I have a spur taken from a ring-main which powers a set of spotlights in a wall. The feed to the current manual dimmer is L/N/E, with the L and N being used to make the connection. Could I split the existing N feed from the mains and use that as the additional N to power the unit?

PaddyP

Novice Member
Practical as I am, for some reason, I could never get my head around electrics, so no amount of electrical diagrams are going to help me I'm afraid. I've labelled up the wires from my old light switch, but have no idea whether a) I have the right wires (ie a neutral) and b) if I do, which wires go where in the Nin, Lin and Lout ports. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying to get it done today as it arrived late. TIA for any help.

Attachments

joek1973

Standard Member
Hi,

Just about to start buying some of these, am I right in thinking I'm OK to go ahead with this? There seems to be a neutral (blue?) line in there? Can't think what else it could be but not an electrician so could do with assurance before I blow my lights :)

Attachments

Jamie

I'm an electrician and I'd agree with you.

Make sure you maintain continuity of those 2 wires, so either connect both to the N terminal on the switch or use a small length of cable to connect from the terminal to the switch

Hi,

Just about to start buying some of these, am I right in thinking I'm OK to go ahead with this? There seems to be a neutral (blue?) line in there? Can't think what else it could be but not an electrician so could do with assurance before I blow my lights :)

Jonny123

Novice Member
Hi there thinking about putting in smart switches to my home and after hearing about the neutral wire problem want a second opinion. I think my system is a standard relay, but have 3 neutral wires and three wires altogether coming to the switch. Would call an electrician but just wondered if somebody more experienced could tell me if that would be wasting my time. The pictures below show a 2 gang plug which I bought and the wiring in the switch in my house. Will the smart switch work in my house circuitry???Look forward to hearing from you... (see attached pictures)

Attachments

joek1973

Standard Member
Hi again! Thanks @Jamie , great answer - and it helped me to get my kitchen lights wired up well.
I've bought a 2-gang switch for the 1st and 2nd floor (switch is on the middle floor but controls landing lights on 1st and 2nd floor). What it seems is that there are lives from both 1st and 2nd floor, and neutrals from both 1st and 2nd floor. As well as a tap off (another live and neutral) to the ground for the switch on the ground floor to be able to control the 1st floor landing lights. I've wired all the lives and neutrals together and the switched lives to the L1 and L2 sockets but that didn't work so I've returned it to the original state in it's original wiring configuration.

Does anyone have a clue whether it's possible to wire this Sonoff T1 switch up for 2 floors?

The only thing I can think of is to disregard a live and a neutral then shunt the remaining live and neutrals onto the second switch so that only one floor's AC is powering the switch (and therefore the lights).

2006marrianna

Novice Member
Hi,

I'm attempting to update my light switch to a Smart Switch now I've got Amazon Echo.

I've pulled the back of the existing lightswitch and have a "Common" and "L1"

2 x Brown wires in Comm
1 x Black wire in L1

In the back of the Sonoff Touch Light Switch I have "Nin" "Lin" and "Lout"

Where does what cable go?

After reading & watching plenty of video's I think L1 goes to Live Out and Common goes to Live In?

Can anyone confirm? What/if anything goes to Nin? There is a Ground/Earth and also a blue wire in the box that doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Pics attached for reference.
Thanks
Hi there did you get your smart switch to work? I just don’t understand it!
I have 2 brown 1 grey 1 blue 1 black 2 brown & green/ yellow. Back of WiFi switch is N-in L-in and L-out and I am stuck! Electricians in my area are way too pricey...can you shed some light on the subject! Excuse the pun 🤪

Jamie

I have 2 brown 1 grey 1 blue 1 black 2 brown & green/ yellow. Back of WiFi switch is N-in L-in and L-out and I am stuck! Electricians in my area are way too pricey...can you shed some light on the subject! Excuse the pun 🤪
Did you take any pictures of where the wires were connected originally or maybe label them. A clear picture might help. I suspect you don't have a nuetral at the switch based on those wires so you may be out of luck.

CDR

Hi there,

Yes, I have a number of Sonoff Light Switches around the home now along with far too many Echo's/Google Homes (I've just found 2 spare Echo Dots I didn't know about today!)

Unfortunately, I'm not an electrician, and there's too many different wires in your light switch for me to even begin (grey wire?!)

Hopefully someone will reply who knows their stuff, i'm glad this thread seems to have taken off to help others.

Trending threads

Top Bottom