Answered Wiring Sonoff Touch Smart light Switch

CDR

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm attempting to update my light switch to a Smart Switch now I've got Amazon Echo.

I've pulled the back of the existing lightswitch and have a "Common" and "L1"

2 x Brown wires in Comm
1 x Black wire in L1

In the back of the Sonoff Touch Light Switch I have "Nin" "Lin" and "Lout"

Where does what cable go?

After reading & watching plenty of video's I think L1 goes to Live Out and Common goes to Live In?

Can anyone confirm? What/if anything goes to Nin? There is a Ground/Earth and also a blue wire in the box that doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Pics attached for reference.
Thanks

Attachments

• DSC06355.JPG
    DSC06355.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 6,554
  • DSC06357.JPG
    DSC06357.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 5,294
So It looks like this switch needs the Neutral also wiring in, however I've got 2 wires for Neutral, one with a heatshrink over it a bit (Seen that in Youtube video's its been done to highlight a switched live).

Do I wire both into the Nin or do I wire one into Nin and a wire from Nin to the switched live? Maybe i'm over analysing but feel I may just have to call an electrician in.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSC06360.JPG
    DSC06360.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 11,901
I thought that a switched live usually had a brown sleeve not a blue one. I would have thought since they are both wired together they are both neutral and the blue sleeve indicates that. However your best bet would be to check it with a multimeter or an electric screwdriver which will tell you. If unsure then electrician.

I deliberately went for replacement switch that doesnt need a neutral so easier for UK wiring!

I asked on an electricians forum and they said put both neutrals into Nin.

All hooked up and Alexa now controls the lights (or my phone).

Thanks for your help

I asked on an electricians forum and they said put both neutrals into Nin.

All hooked up and Alexa now controls the lights (or my phone).

Thanks for your help
@CDR - did you effectively get this switch working without a dedicated Earth wire? I'm keen on these, but in a new build I will only have a switched live I think.

Also, how well are these working with Alexa (assuming you are)?

Cheers!

Ah, it looks like that's a yes - I think older versions of this socket required an Earth wire too, but yours is the new EU standard.

Might have to pick one or two of these up...cheaper than buying smart bulbs!

Maybe not; I'm just going mad on what I was reading :D

Going to check my sockets this evening and see what method our house builder used and check that these are going to work. Sorry for the rambling!

@CDR - did you effectively get this switch working without a dedicated Earth wire? I'm keen on these, but in a new build I will only have a switched live I think.

Also, how well are these working with Alexa (assuming you are)?

Cheers!

Works fine with Alexa once the skill is installed onto it.. It's a shame I have to state "Turn on the LIVING ROOM light" rather than just "Alexa, turn on the lights" but I've named the light switch "living room" so thats probably why.

I purchased a further two of these light switches to install upstairs in bedroom and office, however they have even more wiring in and wont fit into the backbox (if thats what its called) into the wall.

I'll need to speak to a qualified electrician to see if I can make the box it mounts into either deeper or wider due to the additional wiring.

Thanks!

Ordered one to try and am going they're at least basically functional.

£9.50 from China delivered; in no rush, but quietly wish Amazon had stock with prime..

The app is eWeLink

The Alexa Skill is eWeLink Smart Home Fan(!) It works..

The app is eWeLink

The Alexa Skill is eWeLink Smart Home Fan(!) It works..
Yeah I've read a few times about that shouldn't be an issue really. Far more elegant and cost effective solution than smart bulbs, given the switch can still be used and not screw up smart commands!

OP, I hope you don't mind me piggybacking off your thread.

Anyone knows if this Sonoff Touch Switch will work on an existing two wire light switch. I just took out my existing light switch, and it only has two wires. One red, and one white. Red wire goes to the "C" terminal, and the white to the "1" terminal.

OP, I hope you don't mind me piggybacking off your thread.

Anyone knows if this Sonoff Touch Switch will work on an existing two wire light switch. I just took out my existing light switch, and it only has two wires. One red, and one white. Red wire goes to the "C" terminal, and the white to the "1" terminal.

That sounds like legacy wiring to me, correct me if I'm wrong. It's the switched live wire.

You need a neutral wire for these switches to work.

Mine arrived today. Fitted first time thanks to this thread, and works perfectly with Alexa.

Now scoping out options for the rest of the house! Don't need them in all rooms, but I can see me getting a few more easily.

Next is to try a two gang switch and see how the app copes.

Mine arrived today. Fitted first time thanks to this thread, and works perfectly with Alexa.

Glad it helped. I got slated on an Electricians forum for asking for help!

Glad it helped. I got slated on an Electricians forum for asking for help!
Yeah I bet - they're buggers when they're professionals. It'd be like asking me how to do a basic Excel formula at work!

This page made me realise that the neutral is just there in the block, to complete the circuit. All this switch is doing, is piggy-backing off that and allowing the circuit to continue. You could arguably take a spur from the block into the light itself, but that's fiddly - I squeezed all three neutrals in the hole okay!

APNT-23 - Understanding 2-wire and 3-wire Lighting Systems | Vesternet

APNT-23_3-wire_lighting.png

Is this just on and off? Is there something similar that incorporates dimming??

Interesting though as I was about to go down the Philips Hue route.

Is this just on and off? Is there something similar that incorporates dimming??

Interesting though as I was about to go down the Philips Hue route.
I'm sure dimming will come eventually, but it does on/off, timers, schedule, scenes etc.

Mainly for voice control in our house.

Does the Sonoff go over a standard size uk backbox? As I've got neutral anyway I'm thinking of trying on to hue in combination with hue lighting...

Does the Sonoff go over a standard size uk backbox? As I've got neutral anyway I'm thinking of trying on to hue in combination with hue lighting...
It's a 35mm standard I believe. Whatever new builds stipulate!

It's only older properties who may have skinny backboxes. I had zero concerns with ours, built in 2014.

I was worried my wife wouldn't like this switch, but she's really warming to it now.

I can't use in all switches, as some of ours are modular (where there are 3-way and multiple gang especially with extractor fans), so not a straightforward swap out sadly.

Will probably go Tradfri in that instance.

I’d really like some double width switches....I like the combination of an electronic switch with smart bulbs at the same time - you can then fully control on-off and dimming/colour etc...

I’d really like some double width switches....I like the combination of an electronic switch with smart bulbs at the same time - you can then fully control on-off and dimming/colour etc...
Yeah they are standard 86mm. USA versions available around 150mm, but still not quite double. Same internal requirements though.

The fact that sonoff do these is great. I expect more in the UK over the next 12 months.

Hi all,

Another will this work question. Thinking of getttnig a dot for my daughter and also one of these for her bedroom light.

Will it work with the below?

Thanks in advance for all replies

D3717B28-4C24-4D8C-8626-7374015C8D76.jpeg
B3D575C1-6EC7-47D9-B50B-F77232E94692.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom