1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiring new sound system

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by window_boy, May 18, 2005.

1. window_boy

window_boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm quite new to the whole car audio scene, and while I have picked up a fair bit, I am mainly lacking in information concerning wiring the whole lot up.

I'm looking to build myself a sub-enclosure, something a bit different to the norm, and as I'm looking just as much at style and design of the unit as its function, I've deicided on two 10" Sony Xplod subs (the old red model, and please, no arguments over the quality of sony, I have heard some reviews that they work well and I like the style so there you have it), and a couple of 6x9s, still undecided between the old model Sony ones and Alpines SPE-6903.

I'm on a bit of a budget with this system, and so was looking to power the two subs from a single mono amp, was looking at Sony's XM-D1000P5, again for the style, and power the 6x9s from my head unit, stock from a 1999 Fiat Punto SX (old model)

Basically my question is, will my head unit be able to handle the 6x9s, and what sort of wattage can I expect? On that note, the Alpines & Sonys are around the same price, but the Alpines are rated at 150w while the Sonys come in at 250, does the quality of the speaker make a huge difference to its volume?
    And how would this all be wired, could do with some detail :lease: , I'm new to all of thise and have no clue otherwise.
    I have also read of crossovers for splitting frequencies, would I need one?

Many thanks in advance for any help, and if anyone has any advice on 6x9 choices, or feels exceptionally helpful, I've attached some concepts of the enclosre, in-case I've made any obvious mistakes with it - the 6x9s are separated from the sub compartment, and there in there for some treble when the boot's open.

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

2. window_boy

window_boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help?

3. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll try... :)

You can run both those subs off the amp you mention.

Wire them as per the first diagram
    here

You must get distributer blocks (just a metal block for splitting the signal) to divide the signal in 2 when you're doing this wiring.

Your stock head unit will probably only put out about 15w RMS, and so won't give you a terrific sound with the 6x9s. They may struggle to keep up with the bass. Those numbers of 150 and 250w for the sony + alpine 6x9's will probably not be RMS measurements, which is the figure you should always look for to provide a reliable indication of the power handling. "Max power" "Music Power" "PMPO" and other such measurements don't mean sh!t.

To best wire this lot up, you'd do best to get a new head unit with at least 2 sets of pre-outs. You can then run phono leads from the headunit to the sub amp, and then either run the 6x9's off the headunit's output or get a 2-channel amp for them for a better sound. You could still run the factory speakers in the car off the new headunit's speaker outputs.

The sony sub-amp has a crossover in it, called the low-pass filter. This stops high frequencies reachin your subs.

You must run power cables from the battery to your new amp(s) connecting the red (+) cable to the power input of the amp(s) and grounding the black (-) cable by attatching it securely to an unpainted metal surface inside your car.

If you want to run an amp for the sub and an amp for the speakers (which I would recommend) you'll need a distributer block.
    These are the best sites for car audio stuff I know of, if you want to look at 6x9s and amps

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk

http://www.bassjunkies.com

http://www.alphacaraudio.co.uk

Hope this is of some use, sorry if it isn't the clearest!

4. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure about that box concept you've drawn up. having the sub + 6x9 sharing an enclosure is a bad idea as the back wave of the sub will be trying to blow the 6x9's cone out!

Those sony's are designed to be in sealed enclosures, so as long as it's sealed that's cool. Im not sure if perspexing over the front of the subs is a good plan though, how's the sound going to get out properly?

The two aren't mutually exclusive, but usually when you gear things solely towards style but you sacrifice sound quality. While you may be able to live with this, you can't sacrifice practicality or you'll be left with a system that looks nice but doesn't even work!

5. window_boy

window_boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the help, and thought I'm looking in the long term for a new HU, at the moment I'm going to have to stick with the one I've got, so i'll probably just run the 6x9s slightly underpowered for the time being.
    Secondly, your link doesnt work for the wiring diagram :S.

With my current head unit, what can I expect to find on the back of it to wire it up, will the current stock speakers be connected with phono cables aswel, and will there be spare ports or will the cable need splitting?
    And do you have any advice on what distributor block I would need?

About the sub enclosure, I'm intending on separating the sub enclosure area from the 6x9s to prevent damage/distortion.
    I was thinking the same about the perspex, though I have seen other enclosures that have had the subs entireley enclosed, maybe i'll try both.

6. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh darn. Here's the URL

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html?subs=2&impedance=SVC4

On the back of your hu they'll probably be a plastic harness with a bunch of thin wires colour coded for each of the speakers + a couple for power and the aerial too.

When helping a friend on his car last year I remember having to cut some wires and buying another one of these from halfords.... i think it might be a bit of a mission to deal with. There probably won't be phono-outs on the back, and if there are they will be very low powered compared to an hu upgrade. It may be worth holding on until you can get the new hu and installing all the stuff at once.

7. window_boy

window_boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kl thanks.
    ill give it a go once iv got all the stuff together and report back...

thanks again, at least ill be able to get the subs working :)

8. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    nice. Good luck to ya!