1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiring Home Cinema/Hi-Fi

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jack, Apr 1, 2001.

1. Jack

Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have a NAD C320 Stereo Amp and a YAMAHA RVX735aRDS 5-channel A/V amp. Does anyone know if its possible to use the NAD amp to power the front 2 speakers + SUB (on the high level connector) and the yamaha for the middle and rear speakers + SUB (through the low level feed). If so, how do I wire it up?
    note: my front speakers (AE Aegis Ones) are not bi-wirable, and my subwoofer (REL Q-100E) does support using separate high level and low level (LFE) feeds.
    any help greatly appreciated.

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,616
    Definitely do not wire up a pair of speakers with two amps simultaneously.
    Also the Q100E can take high and low level inputs simultaneously.
    Sounds like you're trying to get surround sound without compromising on sound quality from the NAD.
    If your AV amp has pre-outs, you could feed those (front L+R) into the nad and not connect any front L+R speakers to the AV amp.
    In this configuration you would connect the sub to the LFE output of the amp.
    hopefully in plain old stereo mode, the NAD would be powering your speakers while bass management in the AV amp would be sending some signal to the subwoofer.
    Not sure whether running the AV amp without front L+R speakers might actually damage it, though.
    Can anyone else help?

3. RAC

RAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can not think of a reason why running the AV amp as a pre-amp for front speaker output would actually damage it. No one would say of an AV amp, you might damage it if you don't connect rear surrounds! As most AV amps run independent channels, I just don't see this a being an issue and from what I understand, this seems to be a typical solution for people wanting to retain the quality of a 2 speaker set up, with the flexibility of a HT capability. :)

4. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have used a similar configuration with my set up. No you are unlikely to damage the AV amp, that's what pre-outs are for! However, most people linking an AV amp with a stereo amp want better sound quality in stereo ie for CDs. This means that the CD player will be connected directly to your NAD amp without being influenced by the AV amp. This means that the sub is out of the circuit if it is only connected to the AV amp. What I do is I connect the CD via analogue outputs to the stereo amp for best quality even though this way the sub is not used. I also connect it to the AV amp via another set of analogue outputs (if you don't have 2 sets then use a digital output) to the AV amp. This way if i want DSP effects or the sub to be activated I can listen to CDs through the AV amp.

5. Jack

Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for the help.
    i've now connected my amps together connecting the front pre-amp outputs of the a/v amp to a spare line level input of the stereo amp. My front speakers are connected to the stereo amp, and i've wired it all up as suggested using line-level feeds from the stereo and low level from the a/v. Anyway, the good news is that basically it didn't blow up (oh and it sounds pretty good too). - thanks.