Wiring Help Please :-) Which is which

Yorkshirelion

Hi all,

I have two phone sockets in the house, I dont use the one upstairs at all, I wanted to make sure that the downstairs one is connected properly so I opened the socket up to take a look.

There are two different wires going into the socket, I assume one goes upstairs, I noticed that there is a white and orange cable connected to the back of the second plastic piece, not the first where the microfilter plugs in.

Orange cable into b
White cable into A

I took them out and realized that the phone wasn't working and so these must be connectors for the phone. Plugged them back in and the phone now works again.

I was trying to figure out which was the wire coming in from the line and which was coming down from upstairs.

I noticed that the Orange and White cable that makes the phone line work had a Green and Black cable on there, like the ones going into the front plate.

So I took the current Black and Green cables out and connected the green and black from the same wire that has the Orange and White cable that connects to A and B on the back of the socket.

The older wire I removed was connected to the front plate at numbers 2/Green and 5/Black. I assume its the old wire as it has these little extensions on it, old looking plastic plugs, with a new wire coming out of each one. There wasn't much wire left going into the plastic part so I assume that's why there are extensions so it can reach the front plate.

There used to be other wires connected to the front plate, however I removed them after following the improve your speed guide on here some time ago.

My line works and seems pretty much the same on both sets of green and black but which ones should I connect, I am trying to get the best possible connection.

Hopefully someone here will know what I am talking about and be able to advise what I should do to obtain the best possible connection.

I hope someone can understand this :eek:

Jammie dodger

Only two wires are used from the incoming BT cable (usually Orange and white) and these should be left connected to the "A" and "B" screws on the main body of the master socket. The other two wires from the incoming cable are spares and should not be connected to anything.

Your extensions should connect to the IDC push connectors on the back of the removable lower panel. If you don't require the extension any more just disconnect all the wires from the back of this panel.

See:- UK Telephone Wiring

Yorkshirelion

Only two wires are used from the incoming BT cable (usually Orange and white) and these should be left connected to the "A" and "B" screws on the main body of the master socket. The other two wires from the incoming cable are spares and should not be connected to anything.

Your extensions should connect to the IDC push connectors on the back of the removable lower panel. If you don't require the extension any more just disconnect all the wires from the back of this panel.

See:- UK Telephone Wiring

Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure I am following what you mean.

Does it matter which Green and Black cables are connected to the IDC connectors. I'm not sure what is happening really with these two wires.

Only A and B are connected to the back, I used the green and black from the same wire to put into the IDC connectors.

Does it matter?

Are A and B only used when you have an extension?

Should I plug them directly into 2 and 5?

I dont want any extensions or anything just the wires that need to go into 2 and 5 for the best possible internet connection

Last edited:

Jammie dodger

You should only have the orange and white wires from the BT cable from the exchange connected to the A and B screws on the back of the NTE5 master socket. Do not connect the green or black wire from this cable to anything, they are not used, and are not supposed to be fiddled with except by a BT engineer. You are not supposed to unscrew the "second plastic piece" of the NTE5 master socket from its pattress box.

The IDC connections (marked 1 - 6) on the small lower panel that screws over the bottom half of the NTE5 faceplate are only used for extensions. You are allowed to remove this panel to connect extensions and to access the test socket it plugs into.

As you don't require your telephone extension, don't connect any wires to the IDC connections.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom