1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiring front speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Senninha, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Senninha

Senninha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As space and "WAF" are at a premium, I am thinking to use my TV's speakers as my "front" in the AV setup.

That would entail wiring my TV's (bolt on) speakers into the TV as normal to be used as L+R when watching TV, but also running a cable into my amp's centre channel to become the centre speaker when watching films.

I can sort out the wiring, L/R etc, but I'm wondering if there is any problem with essentially having two "amps" (TV and AV) both hooked up to the speaker(s). Any possibility of damage?

Thanks for any info. I'm just hoping to have one less speaker cluttering things up (physically or visually)

2. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    uurgghhh.

Fully sympathise with the WAF issue.. many many on the forum have the same issues.... but this is not a very attractive looking solution (or sounding).

Why not got for a small discreet package, like the Kef 2005s, or silimar - will get 100x sound improvement and not upset the wife to much.

You dont give any setup details, so i dont know what quality your other equipment is - but TV speakers for front sound stage in any AV setup would be comparitivly poor.

You wont damage anything wiring this way as long you you dont have both on at the same time.... to be safer i'd get a switch box, just to prevent any accidents...

good luck...

Kev

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can't do unless you use a switchbox. Essentially you are connecting two outputs (of both amps) together - that's guaranted to blow the amp, TV or both.