1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiring for new system.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by lonny, Mar 24, 2003.

1. lonny

lonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm looking at installing the wiringa full home cinema system before I get the walls plastered and new floors down in my living room. I have a few questions which searches of the archives don't quite answer.

1. I want about a 10m run from the AV amp to my plasma screen. I am thinking of a cable like 'cinemax video' at http://www.hificables.co.uk/acatalog/Home_Cinema_Installation.html . Is this a good choice?? I'm worried about signal weakening over the length. I've seen other posts saying I shouldn't have a problem but if I did, can I buy a signal amplifier to use between the cable and the amp that help but don't degrade the signal?

2. I can see that I am going to have to fit phono plugs to the cables. Are these easy to DIY??

3. I'm also going to need to get F-plug type sockets for NTL. Are these easily made up as well??

4. Do subwoofers use normal phono cables or is there something else needed?? Will an 8m run cause a problem??

Thanks in advance,

lonny.

2. clockwork

clockwork
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

1. I would have thought that a 10m run would be fine. Though I have no experience with these cables!
    2. The approach I am taking is to fit f-plugs to all my cables. There are adapters to convert to phono or BNC readily available should my requirements change.
    3. These are straight forward. Though I would recommend the type of faceplate that has a f-type socket pass though! You would need to fit an f-plug onto your coax to plug into the back. Take a look here (http://www.letsautomate.com/clipsal.cfm?CFID=70615&CFTOKEN=20836661) for what I mean. You can either get screw o f-plugs or crimp type using either a hex type crimp tool or one of those snap-n-seal tools (though the snap-n-seal tools are quite expensive). Personally Ive just gone for the haxagonal crimp tool.
    4. Ill leave this one for someone who knows more about sub-woofers than me :)

Hope this has helped...

Claude