Wiring for a receiver in new construction

vijaychsk

Novice Member
In my new construction, I need some design ideas for the A/V wiring in the living area.

My plan is to have a wall-mounted TV in the great room and some kind of TV stand below it (although I don't place on top it, just for hiding things, placing books, play station or something..).

I also have ceiling speakers pre-wired but I'm confused about where to connect to the receiver.

I have two options:

1. Since I plan to have some stand/cabinetry under the wall mount. I can place the receiver right below it. I can even have my PlayStation inside the cabinetry.
  2. Route the speaker wiring to some closet or a location away from the TV. Have control from a central place. I still need to have the PlayStation in the cabinetry under the TV.
Any ideas on where to place the receiver? Any future-proofing ideas that I should consider?

At this point, I have only plan to have a speaker system and a gaming console. With most things are digital now, I don't plan to buy any blu-ray player. No idea what I'll hook with my TV in the future.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Locate the AV receiver in close proximity to where the sources you'll be using will be located. If you dpon't then you are going to have issues rinning the HDMI cabling from the sources to the AVR and then running another HDMI cable from the AVR to your TV.

If locating the receiver more than 3 to 5m away from the TV and or your sources then you are more than likely going to need alternatives to conventional copper HDMI cabling and this can and will prove to be quite expensoive.

vijaychsk

Novice Member
Locate the AV receiver in close proximity to where the sources you'll be using will be located. If you dpon't then you are going to have issues rinning the HDMI cabling from the sources to the AVR and then running another HDMI cable from the AVR to your TV.

If locating the receiver more than 3 to 5m away from the TV and or your sources then you are more than likely going to need alternatives to conventional copper HDMI cabling and this can and will prove to be quite expensoive.
Yes, I plan to keep all sources near to AVR. I do have a follow-up question. Can I place my PlayStation near the AVR which is 30 foot away in a different room and still able to control from the TV.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The cpnsole's controllers use Bluetooth. While you'd ne able to keep the console out of sight, the distance between you and the console may depend upon the Bluetooth signal and or the thickness of walls etc between the controller and where the console is.

Also note that you are still going to have to have a 30' long cable from the AV receiver to your TV. This would be longer than what would ordinarilly be suggested for conventional copper HDMI cables.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom