1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiring Downlighters

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by drivememad, Jun 22, 2005.

1. drivememad

drivememad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: Probably a simple question if anyone can help please. I am going to put in some mains 50W downlighters on dimmers. I have noticed that there are either 400W or 250W switches. Does that mean on a 250W switch I can put 5 downlighters and 8 on a 400W, and does the wattage relate to each switch i.e. a double 250W dimmer can have 5 downlighters wired to each switch. Can anyone help, this seems like a great forum which I came across - I am in the process of buying a plasma/lcd so I'm sure going to check out the other forums
    Thanks Julie

2. Dazza7

Dazza7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Julie

The wattage on dimmer switches does relate to the maximum load on the switch, so yes 5 x 50W lights on a 250W dimmer, and the rating is normally per switch. Look on the back of the switch it should have the rating printed on each switch. If the rating is printed on the back of the face plate then 250W may be the maximum for the whole thing.

3. drivememad

drivememad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Dazza7 for your advice, I'll make sure I double check that out :D

4. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    bear in mind that you get more "buzz" off an underloaded dimmer: a 250W dimmer will make more noise with one 50W lamp attached than it would with more.

5. craigb279

craigb279

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Julie

Dimmer switches need to be "de-rated" when being used with mains halogen downlighters due the high power demand which these lights draw. Most manufacturers recommend that the dimmer rating be reduced by around 33% for mains halogen use. In other words, a 400W dimmer switch would be suitable for dimming around 270W (or 5 x 50W) effectively. I would certainly advise that you purchase the 400W dimmer as a min. as a 250W dimmer would be unsuitable for 250W mains halogen load (closer to 170W total load) and would be likely to damage either the bulbs, the dimmer or both.

Hope this helps
    Craig

6. diggler46

diggler46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Im considering 6 or 9 spots for my living room (3.5m x 4.2). Is this too many, and also if not, are 500-600w dimmers available?

Cheers

7. compolitus

compolitus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

Futronix make a P50 single circuit dimmer that can be used with mains voltage lamps or magnetic (wire wound) transformers. This is rated at 600W.

They also do a P100 which is two circuits at 300W (mains voltage lamps or LV (electronic or magnetic transformers))

You can also buy basic remote/touch dimmers such as Varilight from B&Q that may suit your application and cost range better. Check the loading in watts and the transformer compatibility.

check Futronix out at www.futronix.com and B&Q at www.diy.com

8. hannahgibson

hannahgibson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a similar problem.

I'm planning on putting 7 halogen lights in to my bedroom on a dimmer switch. I've bought the lights from Wickes but it doesn't say anywhere on the box that they are dimmable. I already have the dimmer switch which I believe is only a 250w and I've no idea what I need instead. I take it I'm going to need dimmable hologen lights and a 500w switch? any ideas/tips would be vey useful.

hannah