Wiring Diagram for Multiroom AV using Sonos and HDMI Matrix

matthgm

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm inthe process of a complete renovation of my house (thread following developmentscan be found here) and am at the point where I need towork with my electrician to come up with a plan to start first fixing the AV side of things. My audio solution is through Sono's and my video solution isusing a 8x8 HDMI matrix. There are also Smart TV's and Internet options, andgaming capability in most rooms.

I've comeup with a first draft of a wiring diagram which is just my representation ofhow I think it pieces together rather than any proper use of symbols etc.Because of this it probably needs some explaining as an introduction
  • There are two yellow areas that appear separate on the diagram, but actually they are housed together in a central rack. I've split them out to prevent causing a huge mess as the wiring crosses over
  • Each box labelled 'Ethernet' is actually an 8 port switch providing internet access.
  • The two feeds to the Ethernet box are one and one spare for future proofing.
  • All speakers (except 5.1) are ceiling speakers. These are mainly pairs, but there will be 4 in the kitchen, and 1 stereo speaker in the bathroom.
  • There will be a switch between bedroom and ensuite to allow music in one or the other.
  • I've assumed I can get some sort of switch to run between two Video outputs as I have 9 zones, but will need to look at this in more detail.
  • Not sure if its possible to matrix the wii because of the sensor.
  • Office is a future development at the bottom of the garden and will be prewired but may never be used.
  • Although I'm wiring for everything, I'll be installing kit as and when I can afford it, some rooms may not get completed in the first year!!!
I'm a total amateur at this so would love to get some feedback from you guys who are morein the know than me. As I flush things out I'll post what kit I'm using but atthe moment this is limited to the Sono's items and possibly B&W CCM382ceiling speakers in most rooms.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82032890@N06/7706355442/

As other threads, advice or opinion we will willingly give but doing our jobs for free isn't really what this is about. If you read through other threads there should be enough guidance to answer any questions you have. Otherwise please feel free to ask any specific questions and I'm sure one of us will be happier to assist :)

Chris

Also B&W ceiling speakers are wasted on Sonos and, unless the last ones I heard we're broken, were a poor pairing.

HTH
Chris

Sorry if I've offended Chris, but wasn't trying to elicit a free job, just trying to get some help with my DIY project. I have offered to pay for any consultancy I need to complete my set up. Where do you feel I've overstepped the mark?

No offence taken, Matt - don't ask don't get! ;-)

I would suggest either:
1) Do some more and post some specific questions, preferably with a clearer diagram ;)

or 2) Get in touch with vex, 101music, SM Contracts, Fusion, T&T, Custom Controls, or another local/london based installer and go over it with them. They will charge either a flat rate for a diagram to suit your brief, or a %age rate for full-consultation. Many will refund the consultation fee if you buy a significant amount of kit through them and/or have the system 2nd-fixed/comissioned by them.

HTH
Chris

Thanks Chris - actually Vex has come forward and offered to help, and I'm going to send him the original of the diagram (had real trouble posting a readable copy to the forums). Happy to buy all the kit from someone on the forums, there's quite a bit of kit there so guess that's probably a good trade off on some free advice on what kit and how best to piece it together.

I saw the b&w's demoed on a Sonos at Tottenham Court Road, and they sounded great- but obviously I'm prepared to listen to a more expert independent point of view

Matt,
despite Chris's attempt to police this thread (and I have talked to Chris elsewhere today on the subject so it is not a dig) I stand by my offer to help you in any way FOC if needed.

Maybe Chris was not aware you had offered to pay for advice earlier.
I had and that is when I decided to help you FOC.

I am sure you will appreciate anything I or anybody else here does for you.

As I don't sell anything or want anything from you I trust that if possible you will be happy to spend with vendors on this forum in return.

Steve

Hadn't seen the original thread guys. Whilst I spoke in general terms, I am not the police or even a mod, and it should be obvious that it's up to individuals where they draw the line over what they'll do for free or not :)

Ref the B&W's: the one's I heard must have been damaged then, as they did sound truly terrible (in that specific Sonos install) - the same model has sounded good in other installs so I guess I'm glad to hear it's not a general issue of compatibility! I stand by the 'wasted on Sonos' point though - if you're pumping internet radio and 128k mp3s through them, you might as well save some money and get Sonance CR101s or similar! Just IMHO. Spend the money saved on some nice speakers for the media room or something :)

Chris

Wow, guess I've just had my first view of forum politics :eek::eek::eek:

Seriously though I do appreciate any help, and if I can return the favour by buying kit through someone who helps out (as long as its reasonably priced) then thats not a problem.

Re the speakers, I'll check them out - thanks for the tip

I have only been on the forum a few months myself and was also shocked by the politics.

I am trying hard to conform but it's not easy.

Good luck with the project anyway.

Thanks Steve, much appreciated.

Quick Q if you don't mind. Does the HDMI Matrix over (dual) Cat5 solution carry 5.1 sound signals, or do I need to make seperate provision for this?

It can do but you have no way of seperating 5.1 at the amplifier end unless you only require to drive one AV amp with HDMI inputs.
I run a seperate a optic fibre, my compatriots will no doubt suggest a CAT solution.

Thanks Steve, much appreciated.

Quick Q if you don't mind. Does the HDMI Matrix over (dual) Cat5 solution carry 5.1 sound signals, or do I need to make seperate provision for this?

yes but that is dependant on if the source is outputting dolby d out of it's HDMI port as sky boxes only output PCM 2CH

Thanks crestronboy thats why I answered 'it can do'
You are right I should have mentioned it depends on the source

So being I am running 2 Amps in seperate lounges (as well as using sky boxes as some of the sources) I'm better off running an optical fibre cable to each amp?

I need to look at you diagram at this point which haven't up to now.
back later so will look then
is Vex not helping you then?

To be fair, I only posted it up last night. Spent the weekend evacuating the front room ready for the builders to knock through, which meant temporary rewiring all the sky and phones.

5.1 is just the thing stressing me most at this point as its not something I've had or done before

Intended to use iPhone / pads for the Sonos, beyond that I don't know yet.

Well you are going to need something special the the 8x8.
I wasn't paying attention earlier and didn't realise your project is so big.
IE. 8 TV's plus projector, 8 sources, couple of 5.1's etc.
I am still going to help you because I offered but the politics of the forum aren't helping me at the moment.

What's happened to Vex?

PM. me if you like

BTW. re '5.1 is just the thing stressing me most at this point as its not something I've had or done before'

You don't need to get stressed about anything, chill.

should have read you are going to need something special for the 8x8

Vex PM'ed me tonight and I said I'd send him the drawings.

Although its a big project I want to wire it for everything and add elements to it as I save some more cash.

For example I might install tv in the main front room, tv and Sonos in the kitchen, using an Xbox and two sky sources, then maybe add the tvs in the kids bedrooms, Sonos in our bedroom etc etc.

Doing the refurb on the whole house is draining my funds but I dont want to compromise on the av so would rather build it up over time.

Does that make sense?

BTW offer still stands for the consultancy fee, especially now you know the scale!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom