Wiring cat 5e in a new build persimmon house

CH_2009

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help. I've just bought a new onkyo 609 av receiver which has an Ethernet port so I would like to connect it to my router. However, I don't have wired access to my router so I was thinking of running cat 5e up a soil pipe run from the router to the loft ( where I intend getting a patch panel and switch) then running more cable down the external cavity wall ( probably 8 runs for future proofing - amp, Xbox, wii, hdmi over cat 5 etc.)

1. Can anyone see any obvious problems with this?
2. Is it likely that an aerial coax cable going to my tv room installed by persimmons electricians would be in conduit or even loose enough that I could pull string/cable through on it as this could also be an option ( I realise no-one will know for sure, just looking for an opinion at this stage)
3. I was thinking of getting a box of cat 5e from screwfix. Does anyone know if it is any good? I've heard copper cable is better than another type but I don't know enough about the screwfix option.

I've tried home plugs but these constantly drop out so I definitely want a hard wired solution.

I'm going to be going up my loft in a couple of days to have a proper look and drop some rods to see of I can get a clear run but just looking for opinions in the meantime.

By the way, the walls are plaster board!

Cheers

eBay for cat5 mate. Average price for a 305m box is £20. Cables cable. Just find a cat5e box and go with it :)

Last edited:
jammyb2004 said:
eBay for cat5 mate. Average price for a 305m box is £70. Cables cable. Just find a cat5e box and go with it :)

Ah sorry not wishing to hijack your thread .
So you'd use eBay not a site like CableMonkeys ?
Cat 5e is Cst 5e right ?

Hell yeah! Just like you shouldn't pay more than £1 per metre for an HDMI cable! My house is wired in eBay cat5e and 1080p MKVs from server to player has never been a problem!

I'm an electrician, it's all about the connections :)

jammyb2004 said:
Hell yeah! Just like you shouldn't pay more than £1 per metre for an HDMI cable! My house is wired in eBay cat5e and 1080p MKVs from server to player has never been a problem!

I'm an electrician, it's all about the connections :)

Connections by that you mean baluns/patching/crimping - terminating getting your cabling end to end pairing ?

I note that cable checkers/testers can be a tad £££ have you got any recommendations re £ not £££ ?
And
BB3Lions said:
Cat6e same price.

Really same price nice one?

?
Unfortunately not near Manchester. However my brother lives in Liverpool.

Was going to say as I'm in the trade I can get you everything you need & test it at cost. Even install it at extra cost.

BB

Hmmmm would be great but guessing you don't get down Essex way ;) much ?

All though the get stuff trade might be nice I could always pop up to see my brother as we owe him a visit ;) ?

jammyb2004 said:
Test & crimp tool -
http://bit. ly/s7enft (remove space as filter moans!?)

You sure above, without space is correct ?

BB3lions - ok I'll get one together and get back to you. Cheers

Didn't really answer many of my questions but has made me think about where I get the cat 5 cable. Never really trusted eBay before, anyone know any reputable sellers? I'm now thinking cat 6 if I can get it for around the same price though.

Am I right in saying I need utp cat 6e cable? Seems to he referred to as Rj45 cable on eBay.

Anyone any thoughts on me running the cable down external wall cavity? Or whether my existing coax is likely to be a conduit?

Get cat6 utp, better grade of cable.

Running it inside the cavity is fine, as long as its temp is kept away from severe cold/heat and wet of course.

Impossible to say whether your existing is inside containment, can't see it being but,...

BB

Bare in mind that according to other post I have read on AVF when using cat6 it's not as simple as when using 5e. There are some extra termination considerations too.

Is that right BB3lions?

I've worked with the stuff for 15+ years, its not that much different..

Hi there so this

http://bit. ly/s7enft

And just remove the space works ?

You know tried that late last night and am sure it did not work but oh what a relatively ok nights sleep does for you. It now works. ;).

So just to check. This is to test RJ45 terminated cable runs ?

If I wanted to test patch points / baluns / krone sockets I'd just need a straighthrough short cable at each end and plug in and test ? Ie from socket at my router end and then at each point in the house ?

Last edited:
I note that cable checkers/testers can be a tad £££ have you got any recommendations re £ not £££ ?

You get what you pay for:

Basic cable tested that cost a tenner do little more that loop back each pair in the cable and do a continuity check. You could do the same with a light bulb and a battery.

More expensive ones add feature such as detecting split/crossed pairs, cable length, etc. etc.

Really expensive one add a battery of other checks for things such as noise and interference and some will even try talking "ethernet" down the cable to whatever is the other end and see whether that's working.

Yep your right. Perhaps I'll see what's about and what I can get.

Cheers for the advice.

It's less than a Tenner! He's not gonna need expensive tools to do a few points around his house! Hell it even comes with the tool to make plugs up! He can make his own short patch leads up and test from that! The kit I listed is what I have/use and whenever I run in cat5/6 cables I test it and use those tools and never had a problem!

You get get a punch down krone tool for a quid on eBay INCLUDING postage!

Nice. Cheers Jammyb2004

You could always buy a Dtx for about 5k if you want a proper testing kit & you can print out your results lol.

£10 ebay mod taps or bog standard tester with a free Krone tool will suffice.

BB

BB3Lions said:
You could always buy a Dtx for about 5k if you want a proper testing kit & you can print out your results lol.

£10 ebay mod taps or bog standard tester with a free Krone tool will suffice.

BB

Lol think for my needs and wallet I'll stick with the £10 jobbie thanks all

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom