Wiring cat 5e in a new build persimmon house

I tried the cable rods again last night a couple of feet along in the loft. Still the same problem so from measuring how far I'm getting, I think I'm hitting the floor on the first floor.

I think my only solution is going to be to run cables outside through conduit and bring them in directly to the tv room. I had wanted to avoid this as I will need to come in the room on the opposite wall to my tv/amp etc. Guess I'll be getting myself some big trunking!!!

When it comes into to your room can you not channel it in to your wall fill it and the plaster over the channel or did you mean trunking for external ?

I've always bought cabling from Scan.co.uk. A real of cat5e is about £30 on there here and you can get everything else that you want there as well.

I prefer doing that generally as they are a very good company. (and avforums members get free delivery - see here!!) Good delivery and never had a problem with anything I've had off them.

Personally I'd stick to cat5e, it does the job fine and I see cat 6 as an unnecessary expense.

I recently ran a coax cable down beside a soil pipe and had a similar issue (hitting first floor). I got a plumb bob and bounced it up and down where it was hitting until it magically dropped through the floor beside the soil pipe! I was then able to continue down and pull the bob through the hole in the wall. Then connect the cable to the top of the string and pull through. Was very fiddly, and at first we didn;t think it would work. But it did!

Also the crimping tool you've selected looks good and strong from the listing. I went through several off ebay in not much time (the cheap ones tend to bend after a few uses making a good crimp/connection impossible) and so bought a 'proper one'. I ended up with one like THIS - you get what you pay for! I now make every crimp perfectly, every time.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
dspit1664 said:
When it comes into to your room can you not channel it in to your wall fill it and the plaster over the channel or did you mean trunking for external ?

The walls are plasterboard so not the easiest to channel. I'm thinking just running trunking along one wall to get the cables from behind the soda to behind the tv. It will just be in front of the skirting under a radiator so shouldn't stand out too much. Just extra expense for the trunking in the room and conduit for outside the house.

I'm just going through my planning stage just now and have a question...

I'm intending running 2 catx cables between my tv room and my living with the intention of using hdmi baluns. After reading about these I know the best method is to not terminate these cables anywhere (ie patch panel, wall plates etc). My question is... Can I put rj45 plugs on the end of solid catx cable or should I get stranded cable for these 2 runs? The distance for these will be approx 18m.

I was also intending running 6 cables in total to my tv room using a 4 port faceplate and drilling 2 extra holes near the edge for the cables for the hdmi baluns. Will this work? And will it look okay?

Firslty... I love the catX... saves a lot of the cat5e/6 wars!

I've added extra wires through faceplates in the past by drilling. It works fine but can look a little untidy. Also the plastic can be very brittle so drill carefully!

Regarding the RJ45 connectors for the HDMI baluns, I would use stranded as its easier to make a good connection. But you may be worried about the quality of the signal getting through... thats your call though! I have run plently of runs for domestic networking using purely straded cat5e. It works really well and I have always achieved 1gb/s connections from a gigabit switch. I normally run the cable from a socket (router/switch) to a faceplate at the terminal (so the cable goes RJ45 --> Cat5e/6 --> faceplate with punchdown connections). I have always used stranded... it also saves money!

Personally I would use the cheaper stranded for all your runs, I doubt it will make any noticeable difference by using different cables for different runs! ...I'm sure plenty will disagree with me though! :facepalm:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
niall campbell said:
Run it down beside the soil pipe for the toilet ! Or the water pipes

Soil pipe should run through loft into roof to allow fumes away , but more importanly to let air in to flush water away

I buy cable complete and buy a blank facing plate and drill a hole in it. Uanned switch in my loft means 1 cable from downstairs feeds 4 bedrooms

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0000E5SEQ/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1326543620&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0055PDRAK/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1325266110&sr=8-1

? Do you mean unmanaged as your links imply ;) just following this thread with interest as good to glean info from those experienced bods.

niall campbell said:
Run it down beside the soil pipe for the toilet ! Or the water pipes

Soil pipe should run through loft into roof to allow fumes away , but more importanly to let air in to flush water away

I buy cable complete and buy a blank facing plate and drill a hole in it. Uanned switch in my loft means 1 cable from downstairs feeds 4 bedrooms

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0000E5SEQ/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1326543620&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0055PDRAK/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1325266110&sr=8-1

Sadly my soil pipe doesn't go near enough to my tv room or I would use that. Im connecting my tv room to my living room for hdmi over catx and I will use the soil pipe for the living room leg of this.

Cut a hole in the wall size of a 1 gang (or 2 gang) box for maintenance access then you can fish for your cables, see whats happening at floor level and then use a fast fix box (plaster board box) and a blank plate to blank it off!

Good plan!

It all depends how the plasyerboard it stuck up there!

You are proably hitting insulation or a joint between insulation panels Kingspan Insulation - Self Build I wouldn't try to persevere, if you can't get a cable rod down, you won't get cables down. All you'll do is damage the insulation and get expensive cables stuck. You could try remove a small vertical peice of the internal plaster board (like a channel) and make good afterwards (quite messy!), all just get some plastic trunking locate in the corner of the wall and paint over.

If it's a timber framed house, the plaster board will be screwed to the timber stud work. The plaster board can be cut with a stanley knife, but you may cut through the vapour membrane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Miller said:
You are proably hitting insulation or a joint between insulation panels Kingspan Insulation - Self Build I wouldn't try to persevere, if you can't get a cable rod down, you won't get cables down. All you'll do is damage the insulation and get expensive cables stuck. You could try remove a small vertical peice of the internal plaster board (like a channel) and make good afterwards (quite messy!), all just get some plastic trunking locate in the corner of the wall and paint over.

If it's a timber framed house, the plaster board will be screwed to the timber stud work. The plaster board can be cut with a stanley knife, but you may cut through the vapour membrane.

I'm thinking I'm not going to get any further so I think conduit coming down the outside wall will be the best option. I just hope I can get 6 runs of cable in it! I'm going to have one last shot running the cable round the corner on the window wall (to the side of the window obviously) then if I don't get anywhere I'll get myself some 25mm external rigid conduit with junction box and run from the loft alongside the gutter down pipe. Does anyone know if you can get bigger conduit than this? I did look at waste pipe but I didn't see any junction box type things to allow me to terminate the conduit and get it in the hole through the brick.

I did look at waste pipe but I didn't see any junction box type things to allow me to terminate the conduit and get it in the hole through the brick.

What about a 90 degree elbow into the wall just like in the normal use of waste pipe?

You'll easily get 6 cables down 25mm flexible conduit and probably down 20mm too if you are using UTP and not STP. 2 x 3 STP cables came out at about 13mm x 19mm.

What about a 90 degree elbow into the wall just like in the normal use of waste pipe?

You'll easily get 6 cables down 25mm flexible conduit and probably down 20mm too if you are using UTP and not STP. 2 x 3 STP cables came out at about 13mm x 19mm.

I was just worried about the seal in the brickwork with an elbow and I would have to make a much bigger hole (I don't have a core drill!) I was thinking a junction box would be better as I would just be able to drill through the mortar joins in a line to get the 6 cables through and join the box to the wall with screws and seal wth silicon.

That's good to know that 6 cables will fit. It will be UTP cable.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom