Question Wiring Amp/speakers-i met the Ohm problem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by GnRB, Oct 15, 2016.

1. GnRB

GnRB
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problem1;
    So I have this Amplifier with 2-channels at 75W-RMS 2Ohms, and bridged 150W-RMS 4Ohms.
    But my speakers are 75W-RMS 4Ohms, and wondered how I should wire them for less fail/pop risk.

And if possible I want to keep them in separate channels to keep Left/Right sound separate, giving them Amp 2Ohm into speakers 4Ohm.
    Or if I should bridge and run them Amp 4Ohm into 8Ohm speakers wired in series.

Additional info;
    Speakers are "BiTe" 3way (sub/bass, medium and tweeter suposedly).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Amplifier is a "Proson RSA-150" with "Mosfet technology".
    [​IMG]

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,132
    Saying an amps power is rated at 2 ohms, is simply a way of inflating the power specification. Like 75w at 2 ohms means 18.75w at a standard 8 ohm rating.

Also keep in mind, that you do NOT have a 2 ohm amp, you only have an amp whose power has been rated at 2 ohms.

However, this all looks like Car audio equipment, in a car you have massive amounts of Current available but limited amounts of voltage, so low impedance speakers are common.

If you have TWO of those speaker, one for the left channel and one for the right channel, then I don't see any problem using that amp. Because the flow of Current changes with a higher 4 ohm impedance, you simply get a different maximum power output. In the case of 4 ohm speakers on that amp, the rated power is likely to be closer to 35w/ch, which is fine.

In my opinion, if you are going to bridge the amp to get higher power, then you need to have TWO Amps, one for each Stereo Channel.

Remember the 2 ohm rating on the amps is not about the amp, there is no such thing as a 2 ohm amp, only amps capable of running at 2 ohm loads. That 2 ohms is simply the impedance the used when rating the power, and the amp should be able to handle a range of speaker impedance ratings.

So, with a single amp, not bridged, one speaker on each amp channel will work fine. If you Bridge, then you need to Bridge with TWO Amps, one for each Stereo Channel.

Steve/bluewizard

3. GnRB

GnRB
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the information.

But will supplying the speakers with 35W(While they recomend 75W) hurt the speakers or amp?
    I guess I'm gonna find out if the amp gets warm while testing.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,132
    The speaker power is a LIMIT, not an ideal or recommended. I don't see any problems at all using these speakers with this amp as I understand it.

Most speakers are able to reach significantly loud volumes with only 1 watt of power. The extra power is for Headroom so the peak sounds to not reach the limits of the amp. Even play at louder volumes only take about 2w to 4 watts average.

You'll be fine.

Steve/bluewizard

5. GnRB

GnRB
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah i read at the Amps max out effect and it says 250Watts each channel and speakers says max 250Watts(i know goin near max will make it crackle and sound horible, so im not goint to go max out on the volume), so this is gonna work nicely. :) and i also got a 12V supply for a wall socket so i can use it inside.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016