1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiring - am I doing this right?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by treecreeper, Mar 15, 2005.

1. treecreeper

treecreeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nearly there!

Already in the house:
    - Pioneer DV575A player
    - Denon AVR-2105 receiver
    - Aegis Evo 3B speakers (5.1)

Arriving tomorrow:
    Infocus screenplay 4805 projector

I've connected the speakers to the receiver....that's the easy bit as there's only one way to do it. Reading the manuals it seems there are different ways of doing the connections from the DVD player. This is the way I'm planning to do it:

* ignore the optical audio inputs/outputs
    * ignore the 'stereo' outputs on the DVD player
    * connect the Surround jacks (6) on the DVD player with the corresponding connections on the receiver
    * connect the component outputs (3) on the DVD player with the corresponding inputs on the projector

.....please can anyone advise if there's a better way of doing it. It occurred to me I could do all the above but also make the optical audio connection between the DVD player and the receiver, allowing me to switch between them for the best audio ....but maybe this is a waste of money.

I've been buying Cambridge Audio phono connectors (the middle one, £20 a pair) for no other reason than the fact there's a Richer Sounds nearby....I'll continue to do so, and get their video component cables, unless someone can advise otherwise.....please stop me if I'm about to waste more money! Cable length for the component leads is minimum 3.5 metres so I’ll presumably need a 5m set.

2. Craig Armstrong

Craig Armstrong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It sounds like simply a question as to whether you want the DVD player to decode your 5.1 signal or your receiver. Your described set up is the former (i.e. 6 RCA connections rather than optical out to receiver). The question is whether your DVD player decoding gubbins are better than your receiver gubbins - I leave that to those in the know to opine on! :)

3. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    All looks fine to me. But you would be better off using the digital audio connection between the DVD player and the Amp, leaving the analogue audio connection for DAV-A/SACD use only. Also if you wish to use 6.1/7.1 you MUST use the digital connection, as the DVD player will only output 5.1 surround (I think this may also be true with Pro-Logic IIx too as the 5.1 analgue input will bypass the processing of the amp).

I would also expect the surround processing on the Denon to be far superior to that of the DVD player

Can't comment on the quality of the interconnects as I haven't used them, but if you are happy with them I'd stick with them for now. You could always check out the Mark Grant cables in the cabling powerbuys section, as they always get glowing reviews around here, and are a bargain considering the cost of comparable cables from named brands (I'll be ordering mine soon, hopefully.) Stereo interconnects go for around £20 each, and I would expect them to be better than the Cambridge cables, but like I said, I've never used them, perhaps someone else can comment who has used both.

Marks cables are also made to measure, so you wouldn't need to buy a 5m one if you didn't need it.

You could also try asking over at the cabling forum here as you will probably get a better answer than my ramblings. :)

4. mps

mps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi treecreeper,

a)is there a scart connector on the back of your projector? if yes then use that to dvd player.otherwise use SVHS connector.
    b)set dvd player for RGB output
    c)use digital connection for audio (either optical or coaxial) for 5.1 or prologic 2.

Keep it basic. :thumbsup:

5. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Wouldn't a component connection be better as this would allow for a PAL and NTSC progessive scan signal to be used?

6. mps

mps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Scart is the way to go mate.

:smashin:

7. treecreeper

treecreeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone....I've seen several mentions of Mark Grant cables on the forum - comments always positive - so I will investigate

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The 575A outputs progressive via component, I'm unsure if it does the same via the SCART, either way it feels like a machine which has been tuned to output the best PQ via component....PJ

9. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I don't think anything can do PS via scart, component is the only way of doing this.