Question Wiring Advice Needed

Rob5ft19in

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So, I've finally found and purchased my holy-grail power-amp - a Sony TA-N80ES.

Current stereo speakers are Kef iQ3's - currently they're bi-amped by a pair of Sony TA-N55ES power amps, both of which are running in stereo (crudely using a phono-splitter to give the left out from my pre stereo input into my left power amp, and the same for the right channel). So I'm using one channel from each 55 for HF and the other for LF.

SO... I'm faced with a number of options when it comes to putting the new monster into the system:

1) Simply drop to a single set of speaker cables per channel and re-install the LF/HF jumpers
2) Bi-wire the speakers, thus running both HF & LF cables into single terminals on the N80 ('A' output)
3) Use the N80's 'A' speaker outputs to run HF L&R and the 'B' outputs for LF L&R.

The iQ3's are 8ohm speakers.

Here's a little snippet from the back of the amp:

Apologies for the rambling thread - I've driven 10 hours today to collect it!!

Cheers,

Rob

The new Sony TA-N80ES is 200w/ch based on the information I found -

Sony TA-N80ES - Manual - Stereo Power Amplifier - HiFi Engine

Sony TA-N80ES on thevintageknob.org

The Sony TA-N55ES is 110w/ch based on the same source -

Sony TA-N55ES - Manual - Stereo Power Amplifier - HiFi Engine

Do I understand right - you have TWO of these N55ES?

While you could Bi-Amp with one N55 on the Mid/High and one N80 on the Bass. With a 200w/ch amp, I'm not sure that is necessary.

From the Photo you have shown us, the N80 can handle 4 ohms, which means a single 4 ohm speaker or two 8 ohm speakers PER CHANNEL.

Most feel the Bi-Wiring is pointless, but with Bi-Wiring and Bi-Amping, try for yourself and see.

Myself, with that much power, I would Single Wire (wire pair) and Single Amp the speakers.

The Front speakers are the KEF IQ3 bookshelf, which are modest speakers, though certainly good.

KEF iQ3 review

Discontinued Kef Iq3 Speakers (Pair) (Maple) - Superfi

Explore KEF - iQ1, iQ2c, iQ3, iQ5, iQ5SE, iQ6c, iQ7, iQ7SE, iQ8ds, iQ9 - KEF International

Specification: iQ3
System type: Two-way, bookshelf/stand-mount
Enclosure type: Reflex
Nominal impedance: 8 ohms
Amplifier Requirements: 15-120W
Frequency response: 45Hz to 40kHz +/-3.0dB
Sensitivity: 89dB at 1m for 2.83V

I think 110w/ch was more than enough, and while still good, especially if you got a deal on the amp, 200w/ch is overkill.

So ...though just my opinion... don't bother to Bi-Wire or Bi-Amp these speakers.

Just sit back and enjoy.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom