1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiring advice for the inept!

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by JimmyMc, Sep 1, 2003.

1. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heya.. I'm planning on getting a Sony XR-M510 (see other thread!) and am just wondering if there's a really really easy way of wiring it in.. I've got an R-reg VW Passat with what I assume is an ISO connector (there are two connectors, one brown, one black..)

Is there an adapter I can get, one which I can just simply plug-on and won't need me to re-wire anything? (does the unit come with owt?)

Ta for any advice.. I know I posted another Q about the same unit but I figured this is a different enough thread to make a new one..

Ta once again, James

2. tvr

tvr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi James

I recently bought a Sony headunit, and it came with a short patch lead from the unit itself to the brown and black ISO sockets at the other end. So, if as you say, your car already has the brown and black ISO sockets, you won't need to buy anything else, just plug it straight in.
    Sony also supplied an aerial adapter in case your car needs it.

Hope this helps

Regards

Ryan

3. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you might have to swap the red and yello wires around on the sony plug.. but thats all

the way to know is if the stereo never keeps its memory of preset radio stations

4. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one.. ta for the advice.. as I understand it, those two wires I have to swap are the ignition and permanent live or something..

Cheers, James

5. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave.. thanks again for the reply..

I've wired it in but the only way the unit seems to switch on is if I have both the red AND yellow plugged into the Yellow 'Y' connector - the Sony manual states this is one of three options... the other two are red to red, yellow to yellow, or red to yellow, yellow to red..

Doesn't keep it's settings though..! Anyone else know more about the wiring of Passats?!

Ta in advance for any tips..

6. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mmm.. if the red is to the yellow and yellow is to the red and the unit turns on.. it should not lose its memory..
    VW's and vauxhalls were the same and you just needed to swap the wires (which is why all stereos come with the option on the wiring loom)

maybe your passat doesnt have both live wires? in which case youll have to have the stereo on perminant.. but i wouldnt have thought so

7. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found out what the problem is.. a fuse has blown (DOH!)!

Right.. I'm off to Halfords..!

Cheers, James

8. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you blew a fuse while installing a iso-din stereo ? /me sniggers hehe