1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wiring 2 speakers to surround back?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sk4nky, Aug 31, 2004.

1. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i have a yamaha rx-v450 which is 6.1-able. im thinking of getting something for the rear channel. i was looking at a pair (unfortunately dont sell singles) of wharfedale WH2 surrounds to use as a rear surround, as i have wharfedale fronts/surrounds/center..

could i wire both of the WH2's (which i'd probably wall mount one above the other) into the single surround rear in the back of the yamaha? (and not screw my reciever up in the process)

edit: actually would it be worth adding that extra speaker if my sofa was right up against the wall? would mounting it higher make any difference?

2. 12 promises

12 promises

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    am not familliar with ur amp but most 6.1 amps have a pair of rear surround terminals which output the sixth channel sound and if only one speaker is connected it is usually the left rear terminal. if you only have one rear surround output terminal it would not be a good idea to connect both speakers since the amp could overheat and "clip" causing the amp to shut down and require re-initialising.why not just buy a resonably good center speaker? :rtfm:

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If the speakers impedance is 4 Ohm each wire them in series, if the speakers impedance is 8 Ohm each wire in parallel.

Series:
    Amp- to Spk1-
    Spk1+ to Spk2-
    Spk2+ to Amp+

Parallel:
    Amp- to Spk1- and Spk2-
    Amp+ to Spk1+ and Spk2+

4. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yeah i have RTFM, i know its not standard to connect 2 speakers to the surround rear but was wondering if anyone had done it or not. and i know what the back of my reciever looks like connection wise so im not asking *how* to wire a surround rear up..

the WH2's are listed as 6ohm on some sites and 8ohms on others.