1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wires, Wires, Wires.............

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Daipac, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    OK, I am looking to buy a plasma TV in the next few weeks. Going to go for the LG RZ-42PX11 I think and I want to mount it in my bedroom.

After looking at the thread "Get your plasmas out for the lads - Pt II" I have got some great ideas of how to mount it.

THIS is the setup I like the look of and would love to have this type of finish when installing the plasma on the wall directly in front of my bed.

I am planning on having a unit to hold all of the devices such as NTL, Xbox, PS2, etc. This unit will be around 6" away from the TV itself.

My question is........... what is the best way to run all the wires to connect all of these devices to the plasma ?

Should I channel down the wall and install all of the leads available ? Also, will I have a problem with getting cables long enough to reach the unit ?

Thanks for any help with this. I am open to suggestions.

Cheers,

Dai

:thumbsup:

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    Is that the one and only daipac (xbox live)

That plasma is a Panasonic PW6 or 7, this is just a panel type (no tuner or speakers) and I think is the best way to go for a wall mounted set up, but you have to plan it out to hide your wires, and you also need a tuner box (sky or freeview) and seperate speakers. You also hve to buy input boards for the plasma as it only has a VGA input as standard.

The plasma is approx £1500 so will work out a bit more expensive than the LG, but will be more flexible and shold be a better PQ.

A good place to shop online is av-sales.co.uk, you do get a discount if you are an avforums member (free wall mount etc.)

Mal

3. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The picture on the Panasonic isn't better :rolleyes: ,go and see both and decide for yourself, then buy the LG :thumbsup: :D !

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    or preferably the one that YOU prefer mate.

5. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,619
    Yep , look at what connections are on the panel , plug em in and bury em :D .
    I hummed and haa'd about putting in a DVI-D cable last year , even asked on here whether to bother or not . Didn't bother in the end and boy do I regret it now ,having papered and painted . All the talk about SKY-HD next year makes it even worse :suicide:
    I say again , if its got a socket , fill it :D
    Unless you can make a big enough channel to be able to pull a connector and cable through at a later date
    Atb
    John

6. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    but be sure to have your eyes checked by the doctor before you compare, bad things might happen ! :hiya:

7. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well, well, well ! What a surprise ! It is indeed the same Daipac mate ! Small world ! LOL !

8. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for all the comments guys.

My budget is around £1300 and the LG is within this price. It seems one of the best options and I have seen it in action at a friend's house and it looked great. It would look so good in my bedroom !

:D

The Panasonic's do look great but then I will have to buy the tuner, connection boards, etc. so it will be a lot more expensive ?

I will get all the leads for all the connections put in the wall before I install it.

Where is the best place to get all the leads I need ? Any advice on what leads to buy ?

I will be connecting an Xbox, PS2, NTL and Laptop.

9. swellmel

swellmel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont go spending all your money on lots of cables for each device(good ones for that distance about£35 each my suggestion is as follows
    panasonic 42 pw7 lookaround the web about £1200 inc scart board
    ps2 rgb cable £12 or less on ebay
    xbox rgb cable £12 or less on ebay
    quintro multi scart switching box £89 or less on web
    can connect upto 6 scart device and has remote to switch between,you will then have only one cable to run to your plasma (scart) all this for around about £1300 you may ask why panasonic well i have a 42 ins downstairs and when i decided to have one in the bedroom i bought the same lg as you are planning to buy,it was not a patch on the panasonic,blacks were poor and picture quality overall disapointing so at least i have seen both in action luckily for me the lg developed a fault after 2 weeks so i got a refund now have panasonic pw7 in bedroom..excellent pq

10. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    swellmel, thanks for your comments, they are a great help !

:smashin:

So, what you are saying is that I will only have to run 1 cable up to the plasma which connects that multi scart switching box and then I connect all my devices to this box ?

Is that the best way to connect these ? What I mean is, what about S-Video, Composite, etc. ?

Do you have any links to the Panasonic for around £1200 ? I have looked on places like Kelkoo, Pricerunner, etc. and they all have it at around £1350 without any additional boards.

With the PW7, does that include a tuner too ?

Thanks again for all your help with this. I am a newbie to all this and just want the best setup for my budget (obviously).

11. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I aint got a panny but after reading other similar threads i'd guess that it does make more sense to buy a panel that has a seperate media box if your planning to wall mount.
    You read so many articles saying that people are dissapointed with a particular feed and often the solution is to get a better lead for that source. If you have buried your £20 lead in the wall and decide that you need to upgrade the lead then how would you do it?
    There is a lot of people that bang on about panny panels on here so much so that some people think that its biased. The way I read it is that there are a lot more happy panny owners out there then other makes and so they want to shout about it.
    Another option if you want to stick to the LG is to keep the cables in some sort of trunking/cable tidy that is stuck to the wall and painted. Obviously not as sleek as channeling the wall but offers a certain amount of reassurance if a cable did need changing in the future.

Steve

12. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    You may get slighly better quality connecting XBox/PS2 via S-Video/Component but you will have to buy extra boards for you plasma and run more leads to your panel, so a scart switcher is the chaper option.
    You will have to run a standard VGA cable to you plasma for your laptop.

You will use your NTL as the tuner.

The PW7 is cheaper than the PWD7 as the PWD7 is a business panel and has more picture in picture options etc...

If you do a search for PWD7 and PW7 there are loads of threads on these models.

You would be best to bury some trunking in the wall if you can in case you update at a later date.

Don't rush in, if you can wait a bit longer it may be better in the long run.

I myself am after a plasma so I have been reading these forums for a couple of months, but I am moving house in 3 weeks, which is costing a fortune, so I am taking my time in deciding.
    I am after a 50", but may get a 42" for now (TH42-PWD7) and then put that in the bedroom when I upgrade to a new 50" HD panel. :thumbsup:

Mal (Jazz Monkey)

13. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks again for the comments guys.

The panasonic does not have any speakers does it ? So I will need a sound system too ?

Tomo1971, I am contemplating that idea too as I think that may be the better option. I will have to see what it would look like. I have seen people using silver poles which look good IMHO.

Cheers Mal ! I am not going to rush into it, the missus won't let me ! LOL !

At the moment, I am swaying towards the LG as it has everything built in which is more what I am after really. It has all the connections I need and also has the in-built tuner and speakers. I think the PW7 might be a little out of my price range as I would have to buy all the extra components to actually get to use it the way I want to.

14. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    If you do go for the LG you have to make sure it has the latest firmware version (5.14 I think). Have a look at this thread, most people also thinik that you need to run it in for 200 hours on low contrast/brightness settings to prevent burn-in.

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202349

Mal

15. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for that Mal. A good thread to read. I am 90% decided on the LG but I am open to suggestions if anything has a better suggestion for everything I need under £1300 all in.

Is there anyway of upgrading the firmware on these screens then ? Or are you stuck with the version you get out of the box ?

16. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    I don't know much about them, only what I have read but I think you have to check the firmware before you get it.