1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wires everywhere!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by frosty03, Apr 28, 2005.

1. frosty03

frosty03
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just about to put together a setup. Am I the only one thinking that there will be wires just about everywhere in the room?
    There will be the wires for the surround speakers, and then there will be the fat vga cable from my htpc to the projektor.

Has anyone put the htpc at the back with the projector, and then run a audio lead to the front for the hifi, or is the htpc usually in the front?

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Many people do put the HTPC at the back, in fact it's probably more sensible to have longer speaker wire runs than video runs. Logistics of my room meant it didn't really work this way, but with trunking etc the wiring situation isn't too bad... but the room is a dedicated HC / Hifi / study hence WAF isn't really an issue!...PJ

3. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have the rack at the back - I ran ducting (aka PVC down pipe) under the floorboards and pulled the LS cables through to the front (and left a draw-cord permanently in place so I can pull more if needed) I then stripped the pannelling of the wall and ran the video cable to the PJ up behind it.

You have to look to see the cabling.

4. frosty03

frosty03
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Instead of a sound cable running from the htpc (at the back) to the hifi at the front, why not run a USB cable instead and use an external sound card (extigy) at the front.

Wont the usb signals be better in terms of signal degredation(since they are digital and error checked) rather than the analogue phono cables which will suffer quality degredation over the 5m extension wire

5. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I moved all my kitto the back of the room to accommodate my PJ, as PJTX100 says its more sensible to run the speaker cables that the video ones.

I didnt like the idea of running video cabling all over the room for a few reasons: its harder to hide, it makes the cables more expensive and in my opinion the longer the cable the lesser the picture quality.

My speaker cables are now placed behind my skirting (I pulled them off a bit and squeezed the cable down).

6. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    Same here:

Better to have everything against the back wall.

Then you only have to have a few quality speaker cables runing to the front wall.

7. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to go for the back of the room option, just so it's nearer the PJ for PQ reasons.

One thing I've realised recently though is what happens with the remote control? I mean mine will def not work if the unit is behind you. And I can't be asked with doing an over the shoulder manouver every time I want to pause the DVD. I used to have a video sender that had an IR extender on it. Is there such a thing available on it's own? ie. you place the sender in front of you, then put the receiver near the DVD player. Should work.

The other option is a much more powerful remote. I've seen some of those all for one type remotes (One for all Mosaic from Richersounds looks pretty good for instance), and they look pretty good. Anyone know of a decent remote replacement that can pretty much work from any angle in the room? And a decent "all in one" recommendation would be good.

Cheers

8. sirata

sirata

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    For IR extenders,look at keene.co.uk, or letsautomate.com for xantech ir extenders. the receiver can be placed under the screen and is hardwired to emitters attached to the dvd/amp etc