1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Xbox Live

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Big_Si, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Big_Si

Big_Si
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have been on Xbox live now for some time and am wanting to move my console into another part of the house. I have read various articles on the options of how to do it and have decided wireless is the way forward.

I have Windows XP and utilise the ICS setup at the moment due to having a USB modem. Is it possible to still maintain a similar setup with the ICS but replace my existing crossover cable with some sort of transmitter and reciever. If so what would you recomend i buy as looking arround there seems to be hundreds of devices on the market and i am at a bit of a loss as to which is the right one for the job. :suicide:

If this isn't an option whats the most cost effective method?

Thanks

2. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    You will need a wireless router and gammming receiver for the xbox. I went with Linksys, its well supported, reliable and pretty cheap. You can get a Linksys 54g router and gamming adapter for around £100 from Amazon.

Be warned it can be fiddly to setup and I found performance to be poor when transmitting from the second floor to my loft gamming room in the atic. Even with the doors open ! I tried everything, aerial upgrade the lot, I couldnt get the connection anywhere near on par with the hardwired implementation. I have subsequently had to move my xbox back downstairs next to the modem :(

Wireless is great for surfing the web no so for online gamming in my experience. It works but you have to realise that how ever good the wireless connection is you are going to get missing packets. Missing packets in online gamming = lag.

3. Big_Si

Big_Si
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for that Harrisuk,

i have found another method now which may be better for yourself aswell. Borrowed some kit this morning from a mate who had just come back from the states and it seemed to work pretty well.

It involves using this new Wall Plugged Ethernet conection. It uses your houses own electrical wiring to transmit the signal. I searched the net and found the following link as these guys can tell you where to buy the kit from.

http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/index.html

It will set you back £100 at the moment but no doubt that will fall quite a bit in the not to distant future.

4. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    That sounds fantastic. Very clever kit. Does it work well. Is it easy to setup ?

5. Big_Si

Big_Si
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dead easy to set up. I already have my system configured for ICS so all i had to do it to plug one in to the wall socket near my Pc and the other near my xbox. Connect the ethernet cables into the plugs and away it went. I didn't have to change any of my configuration settings or anything it just uses the house wiring as a sort of extension lead.

I am using the borrowed kit for the time being and it seems to be no different to the normal hard wired connection i have been using. I think it will certainly be something i will be investing in in the not to distant future

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have ordered one from here :

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=1806

£87.99 delivered. I gave them a ring. Very helpful. Basically as long as the PC / router you are sharing your connection on is on the same ring main circuit it works apparently.

Thanks for letting me know about this. I dont care what anyone says wireless for online gamming is seriously S***.

Fingers crossed there will be no issues. I checked that the plugs I will be using are on the same circuit on the fusebox so I hope it works.

7. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    OK was delivered today (Next day fantastic service I only ordered it yesterday afternoon)

These things are definately the way forward if you want to do online gamming but your xbox is in a different part of the house to your Interent connection.

Why ?

- Its exceptionally easy to setup. It took me days to get the wireless lan working with xbox live via wireless ethernet bridge. This thing was working inside 2 minutes. Its literally plug and play no software to install or configuration. A monkey could setup a dlan network its that simple.

- NO LAG. Yes no lag at all, works perfectly. Crappy wireless connections in old houses with lots of brick and floor between your bridge and router = Lag City. I dont care what anyone says it dosnt work over reasonable distance in this sort of senario.

- its cheaper than a wireless solution. £88 all in opposed to around £110 for a decent wireless router and ethernet bridge.

- Its totally secure. They have inbuilt encyption, simply enter keys into program on PC and Dlan will only except connections from entered keys.

So a big thunbs up to Big_Si for finding this :thumbsup: I give it 10 out of 10 highly recommended.

8. Big_Si

Big_Si
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have ordered one myself today so i have my own, so hopefully tomorrow things should be all go for me too and I can return the borrowed product to my mate. Definately agree that its better than wireless option in fact i seem to be experiencing less lag than with my original hard wired system.

Glad i could be of help :smashin:

9. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Adslguide's review here
    :)

10. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Good spot Spike. To be honest I am not suprised it got such good review. I can only confirm what they have said.

Incidentally I have done quite a bit of testing - I have been getting near max 12mbit out of these things, at one point I was getting 13mbit which according to the specs is technically mpossible. That said my house was completely rewired 3 years ago and the total power cable distance I have calculated is less than 30 metres.

Even so this is so much better than wireless for online gamming its embarassing. Its setup in seconds and the connection is much more stable with no lag.

End of story this is the solution for sharing your BB conection around the house for online gamming without cabling. Anyone with any sense should go for this over wireless no doubt about it. DOnt get me wrong Wireless is great for browsing the net or moving files around or over short distances without interferance. I jsut cant understand how so many people find it acceptable for gamming. I just couldnt get acceptable performance out of it in my house.