1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless XBOX Live? HELP!!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by astonbilla, Jan 11, 2005.

1. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Guys, just moved house. I used to have my pc and XBOX running into a netgear 834 router (the non wireless flavour) which worked great.

Now in my new house the XBOX cannot be connected to the pc, i want it in the living room not upstairs in the study.

Is there any device i can get to allow wireless connection? do i need:

1. 2 wireless access points one for the router and one for the XBOX?
    2. my pc has a wireless card built in and the pc is connected to the router, could i get away with one wireless access point which would see the wireless pc then the router?
    3. a new wireless router and access point (please say no!!)

Any help at all would be great as my live has now expired and i really want to get back online and get pro evo going!

cheers

Bill

2. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,786
    Hello,

I have just bought a D-Link DSL-G604T and a wirekess bridge and it works perfectly. That said if you have a router already, then you could get a wireless bridge for your xbox and connect to the PC in infrastructure mode, it should then be possible to share the connection IIRC

3. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Always nice to get a reply from a villa fan!

So if i connect my pc via ethernet to the router, then use the wireless card on the pc to connect to a wireless bridge at the XBOX, this should work?

i realise though the pc would have to be on for this to function?

4. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,786
    I thought you would be a villa fan with that username, most people don't have a clue about my username ;)

I think you maybe able configure the Xbox and PC to see each other in adhoc mode if the PC wireless card supports it, this would enable a peer to peer connection. Then using ICS on the PC you should be able to share the broadband connection. However, i have never done this though it sounds feasible.

The other alternative is too buy two access points and and connect one to the router and the other to the xbox, and then connect in infrastructure mode the PC and the Xbox

My own preference however would be to sell the Netgear and buy a wireless modem/router/AP and a wireless bridge for the xbox

5. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    No worries mate - that answer is the one i dreaded - but it is the one i know is right! damn.

Couldn't miss that username mate - i was delighted to hear from another fan, heres hoping we sign someone, anyone and things start to turn round!

6. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,786
    We won't sign anyone decent or progress until dear old Doug departs one way or the other

I for one haven't been in nearly 2 seasons as i refuse to pay my money to Doug when he doesn't improve the team

When you get on live, my gamertag is the same as my username here

7. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    nice one! see you there

sometime.......

:hiya: