1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless woes

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Mr.D, May 26, 2004.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    I have a netgear DG834G adsl modem/router. This mostly works fine ( apart from when it powers down the wireless broadcast if its not connected to anything for 10 mins and I haven't found a way to stop it doing this!)

I have a belkin 54g pcmcia wireless nic in my laptop . This is very reliable and works every time.

I have Belkin 54g PCI wireless nics in my workstation PC and my HTPC . The workstation one works fine 99% of the time.

The one in the HTPC is very unpredicable. Sometimes it works just fine ...other times it doesn't see anything to connect to whilst the other machines have no problems whatsoever.

The HTPC is in the same room as the netgear router ( seperated by about 10 feet). The HTPC is in a cabinet and so has the full length of an LMP case between it and the wireless antenna. Its also in close proximity to a yamaha amp and there is a plasma not too far away either.

I've ordered a replacement antenna for the wireless nic in the HTPC and also one for the netgear to allow me to position the antennas independantly of the kit itself.

I'm hoping this will do the trick otherwise the only thing that occurs to me is a conflict with one of the other cards in the HTPC and I'm not looking forward to yanking and shuffling cards about in order to get the wireless nic a bit more reliable. Any other suggestions?

2. groovyclam

groovyclam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you got the option to choose different channels that the netgear router can broadcast on ?

I had better reception amongst my Belkin PCI cards when I changed the channel of my Belkin WAP.

If you can - try different channels to see which one gives you the best reception amongst all your kit simultaneously.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    Tried the channel change made sure I got as much seperation from all 4 wireless units as possible and also someone elses hotspot operating in the vicinity.

I've ordered a signal detector alos. I suspect that the signal to the htpc is getting blocked by all the kit : than again I can't explain why sometimes it works fine.

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Keith,

download Netstumbler from www.stumbler.net ,I couldn't make a belkin ap play with my netgear dg834g at all when I bought on eto puty at the other side of the house, phoned belkin support and they said that belkin and Netgear weren't compatible :suicide:

I thought g products were supposed to be standardised.....

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    I reckon thats Belkin slyly attacking another manufacturer. The two other belkin nics I have ( one of which is identical down to the firmware of the problematic machine) work very reliably with the netgear.

Its just so unpredictable. Its working fine now ( I'm typing this on it ).
    I've updated zonealarm and a few other bits and bobs on me computer in an attempt to sort things out. Next stage is flashing the firmware on the mobo of the HTPC (pain I'll have to plug the floppy back in and dust off a dos disk )

6. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Wireless is a very complicated area....its unlikely that your having problems with the antenna. However you can get CRC errors and collisions leading to drop outs for a variety of reasons. Some are from having multiple AP's or routers on the same channel, however if move the items to a different channel number by a factor of two usually sorts this. I do however suspect that your getting RF interference from the amp's PSU if its quite close. Items such as generators, microwaves etc can have an affect on performance. Its also worth noting that the belkins and others are price matched for home users so it have limited configuration options when compare with say the cisco AP's. Do you have a copy of your settings? What security do you have in place? What are the model numbers of the products. All 11g products conform to a standard, but many have a "turbo mode" which is usually propriety to the specific manufacturer.

Cheers
    Chris

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    The wireless nics in questions are x2 belkin F5D7000 ( one of which is the troublesome one)
    x1 pcmcia F5D7010 ( this has always been perfect in operation)

WAP is off on the whole network. ZoneAlarm is installed on all the machines and is capable of blocking unwanted communication on the wireless LAN. Latest version of Zonealarm free edition on all machines. ( this might change anyway as I need to get my bitorrent working better)

netgear is the only additional AP and again wap is off although the firewall is active ( I tend to leave this on as i don't mind other people connecting to my hotspot and I've got ADSL so if someone gets some use out of it during the day fair enough( there is zip chance they will be able to access my lan through it)

I'll flash the firmware on the mobo on the problem machine when I get some time.

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    there is a simple lesson I have learnt about netgear..... they dont work right, full stop. I spent a fortune on netgear wireless router and matched cards.... they drop connections, the connection fails and need repaired, the strength of signal vaies dramatically even though nothing has changed....

they are awful and im convinced it is software based. When I first got the items the connection dropped and needed reset. 6 months and the software advanced to the point where the connection still drops, only now it picks up on its own...... so my best advice is keep with the updates. Dont bother with CS..... they cant help and will send you in circles loking for viruses and anything else that will keep you busy from calling them again

ad

9. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its generally not the equipemnt thats faulty but how it operates. I'd look at running it without the firewalls active and if anything, i would resite the router or reduce the wireless power on it.

cheers
    chris

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    Solution!

Bought a couple of antennas and a wifi detector : wifi detector shows full strength in front of HTPC case .....zero strength behind.

Plugged new antenna into wireless card and moved it up to perch on the plasma screen.

Now get reliable excellent signal strength . I reckon there are too many cables surrounding the back of the HTPC and effectively sheilding the original antenna. All good now thanks for the advice.

11. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    great, glad its sorted, only sorry i could help"!"!!