Wireless videosender problem

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by leamspaceman, Aug 27, 2006.

1. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    Didn't really know where to post this problem???

I have a Philips wireless video sender. It works on 2.4GHz and I use it to send the picture from my freeview box and my DVD player to my TV in the bedroom.

Up to now, it's worked great. The only thing that intefered with it was my wireless internet but I'd turn that off when watching the TV in the bedroom.

Now though, I'm getting inteference that's almost identical to that I get from my wireless internet. I live in flats and I assumed that someone else has now got wireless and it's interfering. However, my laptop doesn't pick up any other wireless networks and I've also got a network sniffer utility and that doesn't pick anything up either.

Is it possible to have a wireless network that is invisible? That would explain why I'm not picking up another network.

Also wondered what else could be interfering with it. The interference is constant, 24/7, so it can't be something like a dect phone or microwave as this would cause intermittent interference.

Also wondered if there are any senders that work on another frequency other than 2.4GHz?

Any ideas anyone?

2. jameslindsey

jameslindsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yep you can have invisible networks and this sounds like the problem. Also microwaves in close proximity cause issues but generally these are only used in bursts.

I had the same issue with my wireless network. If you change the channel it operates on that should stop it interferring with your video sender.

Also, check the video sender sometimes they have switches to change their operating frequency. My one has channels A, B, C & D. Try to find one which works OK, then fire up your network and adjust the channel until you find one that doesnt conflict.

Good luck.:thumbsup:

3. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    My sender has channels A, B, C, D too and I tried changing these as soon as the problem arose but no good.

I think someone nearby has set-up a wireless network and if so then it renders my videosender useless. I live in flats that are situated on a housing estate and with a school opposite. Realistically, it could be a network in any of the houses nearby or the flats or even the school that is causing the problem. I cant go round every property and ask them to turn off their network.

I've only had the sender for two months so that's £70 wasted. Could sell it on e-bay I suppose.

Are there any senders out there that work on frequencies other than 2.4GHz?

Annoying really.

4. jameslindsey

jameslindsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Not that I know of sorry. The UK radio bands are pretty full. I may be dreaming but I think I've seen solutions that superimpose a video signal on your mains supply. May be the way round for you, but I'm afraid I have no experience so cant guarantee quality. Would assume that it would be modulated so stereo and quality is liekly to be lost.

5. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,712
    Wireless LAN's aren't the only thing using the 2.4GHz band. Remember that this band is available for anyone to use for anything they want so long as they don't exceed specified transmit power.

As more and more Wi-Fi (dreadful name) Bluetooth, Wireless keyboards etc. etc., the more crowded, congested and noisey this frequency band will become.

NetStumbler is a reasonble free WLAN spotter, but it only shows devices advertising themsleves as connectable Access Points. EVERY device with a wireless LAN radio in it IS a transmitter and most of their transmissions are not seen by your average PC based anaylser (esp Win XP which was never designed with a proper WLAN stack and has to lash it up by the WLAN card drivers creating fake "Ethernet" packets for WLAN transmisions.)