Wireless video sender cutting out with Sky + HD box

Chris601

Novice Member
Can anyone help me with this problem.
I have a Nikkai 5.8GHz wireless video sender. I have used it for the last year with no problems. I have just moved house and set it up on a different TV. The picture cuts out for a few seconds every few minutes. I thought at first it was interference so changed the channels, moved the position etc but then I noticed something strange. If I rewind the program I'm watching it cuts out in exactly the same place every time. This can't be random interference. If however I put the sky menu on and watch the program in the mini TV mode on the menu it no longer cuts out. It does this on live TV or recorded programs. It's a standard definition scart connection. The picture doesn't cut out on the main TV connected to the sky box via HDMI. The second TV when connected directly to the Sky box via scart doesn't cut out either so the scart output is fine. It only happens through the wireless video sender but if interference why would it happen in exactly the same place on the program each time ? I can't connect the wireless sender to the TV I've been using it on previously as I no longer have it so I don't know if it's the new second TV at fault or if some sky box settings have changed when the engineer set it up at the new house. Any one experienced anything like this before. I've searched online and found nothing.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
Comparing a full screen with the menu page can lower the effect of any noise as most of the screen is then static so far less unique information is being sent, so it's not conclusive, you might induce the same fault if you test it with the menus changing by scrolling through them.

It sounds like a local noise issue, may be a neighbour's gear

or it got damaged in transit & more likely the psu did or even a smpsu on something else did & it's spewing out spurious rf.

Chris601

Novice Member
Thanks, I don't have any neighbours close by I'm in the middle of nowhere surrounded by fields. However I have just remember there is one thing that's changed in the set up. At my old house the sky box was plugged into the sky wifi router with a cable but in the new house the sky box is connected to the router wirelessly. I'll try turning off the router and see if that fixes the problem.

Chris601

Novice Member
If the psu was damaged the picture wouldn't cut out in the same place in the TV program every time would it ? If I watch a recorded program and I lose sound and picture I rewind it a few seconds and try again and I lose sound and picture in exactly the same place and it returns in the same place every time.

Chris601

Novice Member
I turned off the wifi router and the wifi on our phones. There is no other wifi in range. The only electrical items plugged in within 200 yards of my house is now the two TVs, skybox and wireless video sender and receiver. The same thing happened. I moved the second TV into the same room as the main TV and sky box so there is no interference with the signal travelling through walls ceilings etc and had the wireless transmitter and receiver 2 feet apart and the same thing happens. tried all channels on the wireless video sender and the loss of picture still happens in exactly the same place as before. I can't figure it out and can't think of anything else to try.

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
Is it only me that considers running cables more important than unpacking all my belongings in a new houe? :D

The sender compresses the video for transmission so it's not surprising problems occur at the same points if signal is low and there's fast motion etc.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
You've done some of the right things in switching everything else off to try to exclude as much as possible.

It's quite common when people move house to have something that was OK in their previous property that suddenly goes faulty when they plug it in their new property, it's usually related to something being on for hours & hours (years) getting hot & the pcb/s & components [especially the psu] baking & then being switched off & cooling down & something cracking & so doesn't work properly in the new property when plugged back in.

The most likely candidate is usually the dreaded Sky box's psu.

So I'd try to exclude the Sky box next- that is, use another stb - any, just to test the AV sender with it.

Not sure I understand about the recordings stopping at the same time if I've got that right, if it's recorded with the fault the fault will be at the same point when you play it back, if I've got that right,

Chris601

Novice Member
Thanks, yes that's right about the recordings but it doesn't happen when connected directly through scart or on the main TV and it also happens on live TV

Try using the sender between the sky and the main TV so you can rule out the TV being the issue. All down to ruling things out until you find the culprit