1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless VGA?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Bada Bing, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've got my Panasonic 42" plasma wall mounted in the living room, and when I was having the walls plastered I had all my cables buried as well as a VGA one, "just in case". Well now I have broadband, and tons of TV show episodes not yet aired in the UK, I've been putting my laptop on the floor and connecting it to the TV via the VGA cable to enjoy their HDTV loveliness.

But that's not what I want long term though. I want a nice clean setup with no wires, or additional hardware visible. I'd prefer to have my PC in the spare room streaming video/audio to my amp and TV in the living room. Rather than run cables through, I'm thinking along the lines of a wireless solution. I've seen a few, but most seem to be pretty scary prices, and recommended for commercial use rather than domestic.

Anyone used a solution that isn't too costly, and provided good results?

2. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Have you thought about a media streamer? I think you can get some pretty good video units now, which can stream video over wireless networks... This will be much cheaper as the datarate/bandwidth is far less this way.

3. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No I haven't. Will it do VGA-VGA though? No point in taking lovely VGA and then only getting composite at the other end! :D

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I was thinking the other day if wireless VGA to VGA was possible. Then, I could attach my PC to my projector without a wire across the room.

5. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Im no expert in domestic media streaming, but you need a box capable of supplying the resolution of the media you are playing...

Im sure there are units which can supply a good resolution, but i doubt you will get full uncompressed HDTV, but then do you have that to supply it with?

Just some food for thought...

6. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Given the price of basic KVM extenders, over Cat5, I'd imagine that any wireless VGA solution would be silly money.

If you find anything, I'm sure a lot of us would be interested.

7. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I think i get the idea of what your after but as far as my limited knowledge goes I don't think your "ideal" soloution exists.

If im right I suspect you would like a nice little dongle that plugs in to the input on your tv that would be out of sight and hide behind the tv and supply it with a high quality stream?

I don't *think* such a device exists yet, although i hope someone comes to this thread and proves me wrong!

An option would be to do what I do but, it does leave you with an Xbox to hide - not exactly ideal I know. I have a media server in one room and two xbox's that are used as wireless media streaming devices (yes a modded xbox supports hidef). Using this soloution i simply moved one of the xbox's and its wireless gateway to the room I wish to stream too. This is actually not as "pain in the arse" as you might think as its not a pc but, i guess im getting a little off-track here :rolleyes:

I run this all over a 54g wifi network and its happy to steam any media I care to find/download. To do this you will also need something like Xbox Media Center which is an app that runs on the modded Xbox. It turns it into a complete "media center" which is able to do just about anything ..... er .... well except the dishes and web browsing oh and replace the wife/GF ;)

As said though, this does mean you get an Xbox and a wireless bridge sitting under/near your unit and so still have cables. The plus side is that you can do all this for the price of an Xbox+wireless bridge (50gbp)+advanced scart cable to do hidef n Dolby (10gbp)+mod chip (40gbp)+crate of beer to get someone to fit it :D So around 200GBP for each "terminal"

A simpler option might be to wait for the X360 *but* i have big doubts over which video formats it supports without modding .... i.e. Divx etc. And im not entirely sure if it can stream from ANY NT/SMB system or if it HAS to be a Media Center edition - ive seen conflicting information from M.S. on this.

Best I can offer im afraid, hope it helps.

edit: Doh! A simple search on Google brings up some interesting results for you, just click here!

or HERE is one for 400 USD (200GBP)