1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless trouble

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Weire, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Weire

Weire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    i decieded i wanted to wirelessly network my house so that i can play xbox live anywhere and go on the internet anywhere.
    So i bought a Netgear WGR614, a Netgear ME101, a netgear MA111 and a xbox live kit.
    I thought i'll take it home and try it out but now im wondering if i got the wrong thing, you see im with wanadoo broadband and have a Thomson speedtouch 330 modem. Will this work? Do i need a new modem?

Also my broadbnd doesn't seem to work with the phones plugged in, when i had a 56k they used to ring when i put the line in.

Thanks

2. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    From what I can see from the specs of the 330 modem is that it doesnt appear to have a ethernet port, so It may be worth looking into getting an all in one adsl modem, and wireless router, provoding you can return the router you already have. This could be the cheaper option. Just make sure it is compatible with xbox live.
    Alternatively I suppose you could just buy a cheap adsl modem with an ethernet port, and use he existing piece of kit you have.

Don't forget if you run broadband you will need a filter for everything that is connected to the phone line, that includes you other phones and sky. Make sure that if you have many phones, that you don't run over the correct R.E.N of your phone line, (which I think is 4) and make sure that the orange wire in pin3 is connected in the wall socket or any exension lead.

3. watchmaker

watchmaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +673
    this is what I would get.

wireless adsl modem/router

Then buy linksys WET11 which is a wireless bridge, this will pug straight into the xbox or any ethernet port and do the rest.

I have a Linksys wireless router, belkin and netgear and out of the 3 the netgear reaches about twice as far as either of the others.

cheers

Guy

5. Weire

Weire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help i'll try your suggestions

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I am just about to get my wireless connection setup. I was going to go for Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router and Linksys Gaming Adapter WGA54G to connect to the xbox. Would I be better off getting the linksys wireless bridge to connect to xbox instead of the gaming adapter ?

Also what is the range like on these things. The router will be on the second floor in my house in the back bedroom. The signal needs to go out to the third floor loft room that is at the front of the house.

Will it work that far ???

7. lonestar

lonestar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    you shouldn't have any problems with range, my setup is as follows, solwise sar130 adsl modem / router going into a linksys wap54g wireless access point, two pcs with linksys wireless network adapters, xbox / ps2 connected to the linksys gaming adapter, all devices see the internet without problems.

the only issue i had with the linksys gear, was that I had to change the broadcast channel on the wireless access point in order for the game adapter to connect to it.

range is not a problem, modem / router and access point, are at the phone socket under the stairs, a pc upstairs approx 15feet from access point, a pc in the kitchen approx 8feet from access point, and xbox / ps2 in living room approx 15feet from access point, the signal has to travel through floors and walls to reach each device.

hope this helps.

8. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Apparently the distance is approx 10metres indoors. It can vary depending on your house, but I have a 3 storey house and can get approx a 90% signal on my third floor, when my wireless router is on the ground floor.

9. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks Colsey that is good news. My router will be going on the second floor so should have no problems using the laptop downstairs or xbox / pc in the loft.

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +673
    I have a georgian house with thick, and I mean thick, walls.
    With my Netgear access point I can get through 4 walls to my laptop with full signal, but with the Linksys it is at 25% and I can't get a signal at all with the Belkin router. Funnily enough the Netgear (ME102) is the oldest one out of the lot.
    At my old house I had the ME102 on the ground floor in the hall, I could use my laptop in the loft room no problem and even get a signal at the end of the street in the pub garden :)

The linksys bridge (wet11) is definitely the way to go with consoles, I have one going into a £10 hub and then all the consoles into the hub also, works a treat.

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yea I thought the bridge would do the job. I am going to connect a PC and xbox to it. Unfortunately my projector is going in for service tommorow and I will have to do with the a loan ae200 until it is fixed :(