Wireless Transmitter With RJ45 Connection

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by dadd10, Feb 25, 2014.

1. dadd10

dadd10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I run a wired network indoors for TV Audio etc and have now got a Now TV Box connected to my monitor in my study, because of the distance to my wireless router the wireless connection is nothing special. Does anyone know of an adapter / dongle that can plug into an Ethernet hub via an RJ45 connection and transmit a wireless signal within my study so that my Now TV Box can get a better connection.

I await your thoughts

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,726
    It's called an "Access Point." All infrastructure mode wi-fi is availed by AP's - there's an AP built in to a SOHO router/HomeHub/SuperHub/etc. If you have an old wi-fi router lying around, you can "cripple" it and use that (see the "Using two routers together" FAQ in this forum.)

Be aware that AP's don't transmit/receive any "stronger" wi-fi signals than anything else, so for it to work it'll need to be closer to your coverage hole that your existing router: If you co-locate router & AP it'll make practically no difference.

You also need to pay attention to the radio channels your router and (proposed) AP are tuned to so the two coverage areas don't interfere with each other (in domestic environments the coverage areas will very likely overlap.) Choose 2 channels from the set [1,6,11]

Or you could forego wi-fi all together and look into HomePlugs to piggy back data on the domestic mains. I don use them, but HomePlugs are mostly well spoken of here. There's and also an FA about HomePlugs in this forum.

3. dadd10

dadd10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the quick response, I was hoping to find something small, reasonably priced and unobtrusive that I could plug into the study hub / switch but it looks like I'll have to resort to a plug in repeater or a small AP router if I can find one. Thanks for the heads up on the channels I assume you mean set each router on a different channel so that they do not clash. If I use home plugs I will still have the same issue unless I get a Netgear set that has a wifi transmitter.

4. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    How many ports are you using on the existing switch ? You could always replace it with an access point that contans a switch (or a WiFi router running in AP mode), but they're usually only 4 ports, here's an example of a WiFi router that can easily be turned into an AP with gigabit switch.

As an alternative, you could get a combined Homeplug/WiFi AP like this one - you don't have to have another homeplug, just connect to your existing switch with an ethernet cable and plug it into a mains socket.

And finally, there's a straight Mains Plug form factor AP - although I've no experience of this particular model it seems just what you're after.