Wireless Transmitter and Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by M8te, Jun 16, 2004.

1. M8te

M8te

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I'm trying to find reviews or ask around on a forum for info relating to any wireless transmitter/receivers of audio or of audio/video.

I want to transmit audio from a PC upstairs to be received at the Hi-Fi downstairs, could anyone give me any pointers?

The budget ideally would be around £50 but I appreciate this may have to be increased

Cheers for any help

2. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can only get video/images as stills!! I think?

3. ccparkhill

ccparkhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Take a look here.

Don't know much about how good it is, but fits you budget, here.

4. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are lots of options out there. A good one (I think) is made by Roku, www.rokulabs.com . Do a search on www.google.com for "wireless media" or "wireless audio" or "wireless video" or something like that. I have a list of such devices at home, but I'm at work right now...

5. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah yes, with AirTunes. Unfortunately, I don't think this particular product is really what M8te is looking for...

7. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (Sorry, I should have said AirTunes, not iTunes.) I thought it was what he wanted, apart from the price :eek:)

<I want to transmit audio from a PC upstairs to be received at the Hi-Fi downstairs, could anyone give me any pointers?

The budget ideally would be around £50 but I appreciate this may have to be increased>

Of course, he will need a wifi card or adaptor in the PC. The Airport will then do the rest.

8. MN8

MN8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the pointers but could you please explain WIFI card and what it does.

9. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WiFi is another term for wireless networking. There are 2 standards, 802.11b and 802.11g, the latter being 5 times as fast. Normally, you'd have a wireless base station connected to your modem, or one with a built-in modem, and then have wireless cards in your PC, or use a wireless adaptor or bridge. This way you don't need any cables between your PC(s) and the modem and you have a "wireless network". D-Link, Linksys, and Netgear are 3 common makes of wireless gear. Apple's name for this is Airport (802.11b) or Airport Extreme (802.11g). The Airport Express is also 802.11g but has a built in audio section to plug into your hifi.

If you go this route rather that an audio-only wireless system, you will also have a wireless network for your PC data traffic (email, web browsing, etc.)
    I'm considering this myself :eek:)

HTH, LMK if you need more detail.