1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Telephone Extension

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by kriswood5, Oct 27, 2004.

1. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

Wonder if anyone can help me. I want to relocate Sky to a new room without a telephone socket and am trying to avoid having to have a new telephone socket fitted in the new room. Therefore, I am wondering if there are any wireless telephone connection products that would allow me to plug the sky digibox into it, which would then transmit the signal across to a receiver that is plugged into the BT phone socket via an ADSL filter (i have broadband)?

Any ideas much appreciated. I have seen products that can transmit a telephone signal via the 13amp electcity circuit but have heard that this is not compatible with ADSL even if ADSL is not being routed through the extension, so any other ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks, Kris

2. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    In theory this should work, however some people have had problems. All the adverts say they don't work with ADSL but that means that they can't send an ADSL signal across them, if they are properly engineered they should work ok. All you can do is try one and see, if you could get one from someone that will allow you to return it that would be best. Make sure you connect up properly with the microfilters.

3. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably best to try as you say with a return policy as a fall back

4. lawro

lawro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently purchased One For All 'phone extender prior to Sky + installation. When connected up to the STB, it had no problem dialling out but it was not able to receive a call back from Sky.

The Sky installer 'phoned his technical dept. and was told that the extender wasn't "quick" enough to respond to the returned call. The installer then had to run a 'phone extension cable to the nearest socket.

Anyone want to buy a 'phone extender ? Hardly used .... one careful owner !

5. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have today purchased one of these and it will not work with ADSL even when tring to send a non ADSL signal. Back to Maplin i go tomorrow and will have to get a proper telephone socket installed.

6. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  7. himpressive

himpressive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Kris,
    I was in the same dilemma as you.
    What I did was to buy a wireless telephone extention from maplins and it's working fine. AND YES, I HAVE AN ADSL MODEM AND A WIRELESS NETWORK AT HOME. It worked straight out of the box with no problems at all. And it costs cheaper than what a BT extention will cost you.

8. himpressive

himpressive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have the same product, I've got a BT line and an NTL line. When the engineer intalled it on the NTL line, it wouldn't work; but as soon as he transferred the connection to the BT line, it worked fine first time! My BT line is an ADSL line and I've got a wireless network connection.
    I'm assuming you've got a micro filter attached to your phone socket? ;)

9. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    What does he mean "call back". I don't think Sky ever call the modem, if they did the telphone would ring, imagine the fun with one or more STBs competing with you to answer the phone. Sky rely on the STB calling them, they use the phone number calling to check where its from if you have a mirror subscription(that's why some people have to have 141 as a prefix in the setup), otherwise the card and serial number can be used.

The only thing they could have meant was that despite the STB dialling up a proper modem connection wasn't made, or that after connection proper comms was not established. This "not being quick enough to respond to the returned call" is garbage. Obviously this did not work for some reason but these extenders are designed to work at up to 33Bit/s so providing you don't have a faulty extender then there's something wrong with the STB modem either generic or particular.

10. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sky don't ever call the modem,they send a signal via satellite to tell the digi box to call them-hence "call back"! himpressive-if you've got a wireless network why did you need a wireless telephone extender to get ADSL :confused:

11. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is what I tried:

Plug standard handset into telephone extension plug.

Connect base unit for telephone extension into BT socket via ADSL filter.

Everything still works fine except the handset that is plugged into the wireless extension - all i get is a high pitch squeal!

DRGL - I am based in maidenhead, what would it cost to install a wired extension?

Thx

12. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It would be cheaper for BT(or DIY :)) I don't really understand what you mean when you say you plugged a "standard handset into extension plug"-is this the wireless extension? I would guess you would need to plug the ADSL filter into the extension/master socket that you are then going to plug the wireless "bridge" into.I suppose you could try plugging the base station end directly into the BT socket and install a micro filter at the remote end? I must admit we don't use these wireless extensions so a may be well off here.........

13. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to test the line i just took a standard telephone handset and connected this into the wireless extension. I then connected the wireless base unit into the BT line via and ADSL filter but it did not work.

14. himpressive

himpressive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I only have one BT phone socket into which my landline and my kids computer and the ADSL filter are plugged. It is a good (bad?) 50 feet from where sky+ is installed and since I didnt want any unsightly wiring running through my living room, I had to resort to the wireless extender :)
    Could I have done it any other way? If so, I can still return the extender and swop it for 2 additional video sender receivers! :D

15. sp4rc

sp4rc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I tried an SV1550 Wireless Telephone Extender with my Sky setup (Pace receiver) and it worked no problems. I also have ADSL on the same line, but obviously not running through the SV1550 and a microfilter is fitted.

It's a case of give it a go I guess... :cool:

16. trevor.dowle

trevor.dowle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes I can confirm that the Maplin sourced adapter I have works fine with Sky, and talktalk broadband.

17. Mistral1

Mistral1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Has anyone noticed that it drags your snr margin down or reduces your sync speed on BB ?

18. gomeszz

gomeszz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi chaps my parents are having sky+ installed and there is no way that a wired phone socket can be reached. Can any one definately confirm if they have managed to get a wireless phone adapter to work with sky+
    thanks in advance.

19. Logrus

Logrus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I can positively confirm it works with both my sky+ and my Sky HD, though i only have it plugged in after the filter, so i am not trying to run adsl over it.

20. gomeszz

gomeszz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers thats great news:clap:, which system did you use the SV1550 or was it a different one?

21. Logrus

Logrus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    SV1550, the receiver on mine has a C/S switch for computers(satellite) and speech.