Wireless Surround Sound

Aeropars

Hi All,

I've been asked to investigate a wireless surround sound setup for the father-in-law.

were after a 5.1 jobbie with at least wireless rear speakers. I would imagine the only wires you would need would be power. I'm not so fussed about wireless on the front however if its possible then I'd prefer it.

He already has a Bluray player and he will also be getting an apple TV so we would need an optical input on it as well.

Can anyone tell me if something like this is available? If so, what cost are we talking?

Many thanks.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Most wireless systems have a central reciever at the rear and then you run speaker cable from this to the speakers so not really wireless but no wires from front to back.
What is the budget? You can buy wireless adaptors for any AV reciever although they are not always the cheapest and a lot will reduce sound quality from the rears. If you have a limited budget it is going to mean some pretty big compromises to get wireless. Running cables around a room does not need to be difficult and there are many ways to hide the cable i.e. D line trunking or under skirting boards/carpets etc. This will be cheaper and give better sound quality.
As an example KEF used to do a wireless package which I think cost between £200-400 but come members who bought it went back to cables due to loss of sound quality. Airfonix do systems but these are £800+.

StevieBuck

All of the wireless 5.1 systems I’ve seen just have wireless rear speakers. Typically they will have a wireless receiver which will be located at the back of your room, in between the two rear speakers. The receiver connects to the rear speakers with standard speaker cable and also must be hooked up to a power source. You still need wires, but it means you don’t have to have them running all the way back to the front of the room where the main unit is situated.

The biggest problem you tend to hear about with wireless systems is the audio quality. The conversion and wireless transmission of the audio signals can have a detrimental effect.

The other problem is that most of these all-in-one systems will come with a built-in DVD or Blu-ray player, which I guess they don’t want.

If you still think wireless is the way to go, I’d recommend taking a look around the major manufacturers’ websites (LG, Sony, Samsung, etc). Most only have one or two wireless systems on offer.

Aeropars

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realise it would be so expensive so perhaps wireless is not the way to go.

I think theres about £300 to spend but ideally I would need 2 optical ins

Anyone have any suggestions?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom