Quantcast

Question Wireless surround sound 5.1

Maw17

Novice Member
Hi Everyone,

I need your assistance in helping me upgrade to a new set up.

Existing setup: LG soundbar and a sub. Bought it a good 4 years ago and still does a decent job.

Looking for: Preferably wireless (mrs doesnt like wires) 5.1 surround sound setup. But can try to push my luck with wire setup but its hard to hide wires without having a carpet.

Facts: Live in a flat, set up will be my main one for the usual heavy netflix, movies, sports. Budget £500 and can extend it to £750 (hope shes not reading this). Got a one-off Sonos speaker with alexa that I got it for free with my phone over a yr ago and I like the sound off it. Looking to invest in projector and 4k tv in about 6 months time.

Reason for the change: I spend a lot of my time binge watching on netflix, amazon and movies and I really feel like I am missing out with having back speakers.

Any suggestions? Thank you :)

Gasp3621

Hi Everyone,

I need your assistance in helping me upgrade to a new set up.

Existing setup: LG soundbar and a sub. Bought it a good 4 years ago and still does a decent job.

Looking for: Preferably wireless (mrs doesnt like wires) 5.1 surround sound setup. But can try to push my luck with wire setup but its hard to hide wires without having a carpet.

Facts: Live in a flat, set up will be my main one for the usual heavy netflix, movies, sports. Budget £500 and can extend it to £750 (hope shes not reading this). Got a one-off Sonos speaker with alexa that I got it for free with my phone over a yr ago and I like the sound off it. Looking to invest in projector and 4k tv in about 6 months time.

Reason for the change: I spend a lot of my time binge watching on netflix, amazon and movies and I really feel like I am missing out with having back speakers.

Any suggestions? Thank you :)
Would these work?

Hide Wires: Amazon.co.uk

You can write "hide speaker wires" on google picture finder and you get few ideas.

Maw17

Novice Member
Would these work?

You can write "hide speaker wires" on google picture finder and you get few ideas.
Ahh yes!! I can actually work with that.. There is a gap in the living as it leads to a small balcony but can still w
Would these work?

Oh yes!! Ill give that a go.. Thank you!! Any suggestion the speakers end?

Gasp3621

Ahh yes!! I can actually work with that.. There is a gap in the living as it leads to a small balcony but can still w

Oh yes!! Ill give that a go.. Thank you!! Any suggestion the speakers end?
Great to hear that!

750£ is very low budget for receiver + 5.1 speaker sub system. You didn´t tell anything about your room size / listening distance, speaker size restictions (wife) and just generally where you are planning to put the speakers (wall or stand / av-cabinet mounted)?

As you are going to invest in projector and big screen you want to have decent system to support the experience.

I can link few options so you can talk with wife/gf which systems she gives green light.

Forum favourite in the budget class is Q Acoustics, this doesn`t really change if reading US forums, they are good speakers for the price and the rounded cabinets look nice. This is the earlier 3000 serie with graphite grey finish which is sadly the only for it. Ideally you would buy speaker stands for main channels and surround channels, or for the latter wall brackets although i fear they might be too large for wife/gf.

Then you need av-receiver to power everything, Yamaha V585 is on sale and Atmos/DTS:X capable for future. With the stands/brackets it would come close to your max budget.

If you can find a way to up your budget somehow then the new QA 3000i 5.1 package could be option, there is white, walnut, grey and black finish so bit more wife friendly looks. Then add the receiver..

If you prefer something smaller to be wall mounted possibly then the earlier Monitor Audio Mass system has been found enjoyable. Check the dimensions.

For that system you need subwoofer (~200£) and av-receiver (~279£) plus the wall brackets (15£ each), wires so it would go over your budget sadly.

Another smaller speaker system would be Wharfedale DX2 in black or white, can be wall mounted. This includes Denon receiver and speaker + sub wire. 769£.

Have a look those first and give your thoughts. If you have patience you can build the system slowly too like starting with better 2.1 system and then add speakers when funds allow. But it`s really up to you do you want the whole system right away.

Maw17

Novice Member
Thank you for such a detailed reply. I know the budget is on lower side but I am not accustomed to surround sound.. Only experience I got is in the cinema.. So anything right now will blow my mind.. Lol!

With that said, m settling in for JBL. Heard the news bar 9.1 being released in March or so.

Ill test that out and for any reason if I find bar 5.1 at even more competitive price then ill go for that instead 😁

Thank you for your help.

Gasp3621

Thank you for such a detailed reply. I know the budget is on lower side but I am not accustomed to surround sound.. Only experience I got is in the cinema.. So anything right now will blow my mind.. Lol!

With that said, m settling in for JBL. Heard the news bar 9.1 being released in March or so.

Ill test that out and for any reason if I find bar 5.1 at even more competitive price then ill go for that instead 😁

Thank you for your help.
If you have the money and space i would still go with real speakers and receiver instead. They will blow the soundbars in comparison.

JBL with the atmos speakers has small sweet spot so you need to have couch in right spot and need to have flat & reflective ceiling to get any atmos effect. The system has wireless surround speakers that need charging every 10hours. :laugh:

The Yamaha receiver i linked supports wireless surrounds, but you would need to buy Yamaha speakers which are not cheap. While they are free from speaker wire, you still have power cable for each. So you can choose front three freely with subwoofer and then these.

I assume you were little scared the size of the speakers i linked. In that case there is example the CA Minx system which is small. Add receiver, wires (from Amazon) and you are close to your budget.

The new MA Mass system is small too, white and black finish.