1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless stuff: using LCD TV as monitor and streaming audio files to stereo

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Maughan, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Maughan

Maughan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Hello

I have XP Home (SP2) running on a PC in my study, which is upstairs. It is hard-wired via a USB ADSL modem ("BT Voyager") to a broadband connection. I currently have no network or wireless equipment at all.

I want to be able to:

(a) access music files (via something like Netgear's MP101) on my stereo downstairs; and
    (b) use my PC remotely on my (PC-compatible) LCD TV downstairs (using a wireless keyboard and mouse).

I am thoroughly confused about exactly what I need to achieve any or all of this! :confused: (Ethernet modem? Wireless router? Broadband router? Wireless server? 802.11b or 802.11g? And so on!)

I would really appreciate any advice relating to the following:

1. what wireless equipment do I need to connect to the PC to achieve (a)?
    2. is a separate or the same piece of equipment needed to send the monitor's image to the LCD TV for (b)?
    3. what equipment receives the monitor signal and routes it into the PC-input on the LCD TV?
    4. will that same equipment send the keyboard and mouse inputs back to the PC?

Any help that you can give will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Maughan
    :)

2. potterd

potterd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Maughan,

In order to acheive a) you will need a basic wireless network card on your pc. These are available from all computer suppliers as internal PCI cards or external USB versions. Choose the highest speed connection that you can since a limitation of wireless networking is that all wireless clients are forced to use the speed the slowest connection on the network.

In order to acheive b) there is not a simple solution as far as I am aware. You could acheive it with the following steps.

1. The following product allows a PC output to be viewed on both the local PC monitor and a remote tv. Trust TeleViewer. This is the most appropriate equipment I have seen for your needs and costs £100 (although if you search around I'm sure you will find it for less).

2. The above doesn't give you wireless keyboard or mouse control. You should look at a bluetooth solution. Companies like Belkin offer bluetooth keyboard and mouse combos for about £75. You will need to be careful here though. Firstly you will need to make sure you can use both your normal ps2 keyboard and your bluetooth keyboard at the same time otherwise you will need to keep switching between them. Secondly you will need to examine the distance between your PC and you lounge to ensure that it is not beyond the manufacturers stated maximum distance. This distance also depends on the structure of your house.

Hope this gives you something to go on.

Dave

3. Maughan

Maughan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Dave

Thanks for your response. :thumbsup:

The process of researching my options and posting forum questions is allowing me gradually to understand the wireless options and connections involved (I think).

What you suggest with the TeleViewer is the best suggestion I have heard for the monitor-display-on-TV issue. The only slight disappointment about that is that my LCD TV is VGA-compliant, so I guess it would be a shame to convert the monitor signal into a composite or S-video one. I see your reservations about the associated keyboard/mouse problems, however, so maybe the whole thing is a no-go anyway. :thumbsdow

FYI, I have learned that the Netgear/MP3 server needs a wireless router, not just a PCI network card. So I am now thinking my best bet is to get a wireless router, adapter card for the PC, a laptop (wi-fi compliant, of course) and the MP3 server - and that will achieve nearly everything I want (albeit I will be using a different computer/had drive downstairs and not on a 30" screen!)

Thanks again for your comments which have really helped me understand this problem.

Maughan