Wireless Streaming Spotify from Android Tab to Hi-Fi?

emptybe

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello Troops. First ever post so be gentle!

I am trying to get a wireless streaming setup going but can't quite find the combination of the products that will do the job. Basically I want to use an Android tablet (or iPad if I have to) to stream Spotify wirelessly to a hifi system. We currently do exactly that using an Airport Express and Airfoil from the missus' macbook but it's very unreliable and she wants her macbook back!

But from lot's of searching I can't find an app for Android that does the same thing as Airfoil (wirelessly streams music to the Airport). So how can I do it? I haven't bough the tablet yet or the new hi-fi so am open to any combination. I see some hi-fi systems have some wireless capability (like this: CMT-MX750Ni (CMTMX750Ni, CMTMX750NI.CEK) but I can't find anything that explains if I can stream to them from an Android device or how. I have also seen the Squeezebox Touch but I don't quite get how it would connect up and it seems like a lot of money to them still have to buy the hi-fi on top.

I'll stop blathering. Any advice greatly appreciated.

The touch would connect directly to the hifi and you would control it either from the screen or from an app on an i-thing (i-Peng) or android device (Squeezecontrol).

For mixing android and Airplay have a read of this

Rogue Amoeba - Under The Microscope » Blog Archive » Sending Any Audio to Android Devices via AirPlay, With Airfoil

Personally I would think that trying to mix android with Apple devices will always be problematic because of Apples walled garden approach to the world but it might work fine.

You could just connect an android device by its headphone out to the amp and play Spotify that way but the sound quality from headphone sockets is limited. Newer android tablets and phones are starting to have USBAudio enabled so that you can connect a USB DAC to them and stream that way which would be a major improvement in sound quality but the device is then tethered to the amp. Also there are limited devices at the moment - android needs to catch up here.

A cheapish solution is to buy a s/hand ipod touch (around £40-50 for a 2nd Gen version) and use that to stream to the AE. Sounds like you may have wireless signal issues that need to be looked into if it is currently unreliable. Obvious thing first is to reboot your router and the next is to try changing the wireless channel on your router in case there is interference.

If you haven't bought the tablet yet, then get an ipad, airplay is built in so would work directly with your airport express.

Yes it's cheaper, but the op specifically mentioned tablet, in fact he said android tablet or iPad.

The ipod touch is a tablet - albeit a small one as it can run most of the same apps as an Ipad

Thanks guys. Last I heard of Airplay it was only for iTunes, I didn't know they'd integrated it with Spotify. That would be a simple solution. The only thing is I wanted a tablet for a bunch of other things anyway and I wanted to stay away from the iPad. The missus has one and it's fine but it's typically mac 'predefined', I wanted the flexibility of an Android tab.

Larkone, I'd looked into airbubble. It only streams music to a tab, but won't stream audio from the tab to an Airport unfortunately.

I might end up sending more of my cash to California (via China) again...

Why don't you try spotify on the Mrs ipad airplaying to your AE? Then you can see if its worth the outlay.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom