• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes. We're still rebuilding the database indexes, so searches won't be reliable for a few hours, but we feel it's more important to bring the forums back online. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post. Thank you for your patience.

Wireless Storage

H

hardimap

Has anyone used or have a wireless storage system?

I am looking at some form of file server that I can put in another room of my house (i.e the attic space), but I do not have network connection or a pc in the attic.

So I have been looking at something like the Iomega Storcenter Wireless storage.
The main use for this will be for the storage of my DVD collection and I will want to access this via my HTPC.

How do movies run over a wireless network?
Would the transfer rate be quick enough for playback, or will I get bad sound/picture?

Thanks,

Paul

sean.pittaway

Standard Member
i never managed to get dvd's to play back properly over a wireless link...

its been fine on 100mb cat5.

also, how hot does your attic get?

i was going to do the same (even ran the wires up there) but its so hot in summer i doubt a computer would last for long with out crashing...

I also have to say, have you not thought about just using a pc with a few disks in???

H

hardimap

Thanks for the reply,

You have confirmed what I was worried about.
Nevermind plan B it is - lay some cat5 and put the storage in the garage

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom