Wireless speed drops

Andy3105

:hiya:

I have a problem with my wireless performance, basically I struggle to get above 54mbps, the card in my PC is Wireless N as is the BT Home Hub 2.

If I change channels I can get a reported 130mbps in the Hub firmware but upon refreshing the screen it always drops to 54mbps or lower, I have also tried a Netgear WN111v2 adaptor and that suffers the same issues.

I have read some things on the net alleging that using WEP security can cripple wireless speeds and recommendations to change to WPA2 but I cannot understand why this would be an issue?

Hopefully someone far more knowledgeable than me can help me with this as it's seriously driving me mad :mad:

beerhunter

Start by reading one of the many threads on these forums about using inSSIDer to fix WiFi problems. (The question gets asked almost daily - twice today.)

If you have a HH 2.0 then it will be set to WPA2 by default.

Andy3105

I already have inSSIDer and have used it many times, when I change the channel the speed jumps to 130mbps but always drops again right away.

I changed the security to WEP myself so I might change it back just to see but I was hoping someone might recognise a solution.

beerhunter

I already have inSSIDer and have used it many times, when I change the channel the speed jumps to 130mbps but always drops again right away.
And when you do that, do set the BT HH to a channel that is not in use and at least two away from any that are?

Andy3105

yes, I have tried several different channels always at least 2-3 channels away from the other wireless network it picks up which is out next door neighbour.

It always displays the same behaviour, I tried the WN111 just to see if it was an issue with the wireless card in the PC but that behaves exactly the same.

Andy3105

:hiya:

Thought I'd give an update and then this thread can be closed off I reckon....

I switched to WPA2 security and I did see an increase in speed 104mbps and also an increase in signal strength but this morning when I switched on the pc it had dropped to 38mbps and no other devices were connected.

I installed an extra powerline adapter that I got from BT and connected by ethernet and the internet performance is way better, really fast and responsive so I have decided to stop using wireless as it's simply too much hassle.

I have a powerline in the conservatory which serves my TV, Xbox360, PS3 and HD-DVD player and I have never experienced a disconnection so I think this is the way to go for me, I can't directly connect to the router because of it's location so a powerline adapter is the only solution but it seems to work just fine :smashin:

Trending threads

Top Bottom