1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dr Diversity, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before I even start a hunt do they exist and are they any good. Sick of trying to hide wires, even with re-decoration looming. Recommendations welcomed :)

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well I just did a Google search for 'wireless speakers' and got loads of hits.

I've got some wireless speakers that are in the kitchen. they are fairly good, but no where near what I would call HiFi. I got them several years ago from Curries (I think) for about £100. I can't remember the make (I'm at work ATM!), and it will be a very old model. They have a rechargeable battery in each speaker, and obviously a built in amp to drive them. You just plug the transmitter into the tape loop etc on your hifi and set the channel at both ends.

As I say mine are now around 10 years old and newer models/other makes etc may be far better. They are ok for background noise, but I would not use them on my main system.

Mark.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Dr Diversity - welcome to the world outside General Chat :D

The reason that wireless speakers aren't talked about more is that in terms of high fidelity they are no way near as good as "normal" speakers and I think that they are mainly sold as part of a package with a television for people who aren't that demanding about sound quality.

Son't forget that whilst most of these "wireless" speakers don't have a speaker cable connecting them, they are mostly mains powered so have a mains cable instead.

4. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have you considered the Yammy Sound Projector YSP-1? No more wires, and probably better sonics than wireless. I'm just conjecturing though.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Dr Diversity

What's the application?

There are some entry level wireless 'surround' satellites and entry level full 5:1 systems (with wired/powered central hub/sub).

Your other option is wireless senders - though you need a powered 'receiver' next to each loudspeaker.

The Yamaha YSP-1 Digital Sound Projector (plus a sub) is a great way to attain 'wire free' surround sound.

Best regards

Joe