Wireless Speakers or Soundbar +Sub?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by jonwestuk, Jan 18, 2019.

1. jonwestuk

jonwestuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

Just wondering if someone can help me work-out a reasonable set-up for my home cinema as I am at a loss as to what to do/get, mainly cause I have a bit of an odd set-up with my wiring availability.

Requirements:
    - low-mid range system. I want something better than the TV speakers. Particularly if there is something that will enable me to get better clarity of speech/talking during DTS audio movies (currently crap from my existing TV speakers) that would be ideal.
    - Happy with anything from just a sound bar; soundbar+sub; or full 5.1 (the left/right channels would need to be wireless or linked to a wireless receiver via already installed cables).
    - Usage - mainly streamed movies from PLEX 1080p/4k DTS streams mostly. Terrestrial TV. Spotify.
    - Needs to be wife friendly i.e. it just works through the TV when the tv is turned on.
    - Prefer value for money over brand names. I am not adverse to Sonos, but it does seem expensive for what it is.
    - Money £250-£1000 (if I go for the £1000 then I would be expecting to be able to extend the sound to other speakers around the house)
    ---------------Other Things---------------
    - Do any of these speaker set-ups support google home?

I have included a picture of my room layout and cabling below.

I really appreciate your help. I have looked at so many things, but just cant seem to work out what the best options are given my constraints.

Thanks

Jon

PS - the star = power Picture2.png

2. jonwestuk

jonwestuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just thinking about this...out of my price range, but this type of option looks really good. Are there any other better value options?

Samsung HW-N950 Soundbar Review

3. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,669
    Your room layout would support 5.1 and a 5.1 system is always going to sound better than a soundbar or just a stereo presentation with just the two fronts. For that you would need a receiver (if you don't already own one) and that cost would have to be factored in. However, for your stated budget then wireless is going to be financial problem.

Second choice (for me) would be a simple stereo set up but using a good integrated stereo amp which would also be far better for music.

Lastly would be the soundbar option and this would be a simple and easy to install option as opposed to the other two.

4. jonwestuk

jonwestuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any recommendations on systems where the 4 surround speakers are wireless? I found this Enclave Audio CineHome HD 5.1 system, but it doesnt appear to be available in the UK? Most other systems that I can see are either battery or soundbars with wireless rears.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

5. jonwestuk

jonwestuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any ideas anyone? Really struggling to find decent wireless speaker set-ups that are not eye wateringly expensive.

6. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,669
    I'm afraid you've hit the nail on the head, they are expensive. Although nice to have you can get some very good speaker cables that are not too difficult to hide.

7. Cladirn

Cladirn
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. cronemeister

cronemeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I Keep seeing this package flashup everytime I go on Amazon and i'm sorely tempted, i'm not up to speed enough at the mo to decide whether it's a good deal or not:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Z9O0...olid=3NSD87ZRN3QM1&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I don't believe it's wireless but surely there's no such thing, you would still need to get power to the speakers.

I'm just starting out my research journey on best options (soundbar/amp+speakers+sub) so i'll be following this thread with interest.

9. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +638
    I think the best option is to build your system over time when your budget allows. So, for the first part, I would look at a 5.1 amp and use it in a 2 channel configuration with a pair of speakers which allows you to grow your system.

Using something similar to the Marantz NR1609 will give you a sleek look without having to compromise to much on power or connectivity. With the speakers, you could look at at the Q Acoustics latest 3000 Series separates speakers which will enable you to build the system over time with a matching centre and another pair for the rears. A basic Rel T-Zero will enable you to add depth to the system ensuring the stereo playback has a little more clout allowing you to enjoy the system whilst waiting to complete the surround sound system when you are ready

As you mentioned your budget of £250 - £1000, this will fit within your budget with the amp, one pair of speakers plus the subwoofer.

You have also mentioned that you wish to use the amp in conjuration with other speakers around the house, this amp will work with Spotify, HEOS, Amazon Alex and Apple AirPlay giving you many options to create your perfect multi room audio solution, so I hope it also ticks those boxes too :)