1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Speakers. A letter to Santa

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by IanB, Dec 6, 2001.

1. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Christmas is here!! YAY!

Christmas tree has appeared in the living room!!! YAY!

Room has had to be moved round to make space, so ideal listening position has been ruined!!!!! BOOOOOOOO!
    ------------------------------------------------------

Dear Santa,

Please bring me a a nice wireless device (that can deal with multi channel speaker systems) that will allow me to move my speakers around the room whenever I need to.

Thanks

Ian (aged 31 and a bit)

PS - I hope I am giving you enough warning because there doesn't seem to be any in the shops, so perhaps one of your enterprising little helpers will read this, make such a device and make a fortune.

PPS - If they do... please make them remember who they got the idea from.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    But ensure that they are battery powered so that there aren't mains cables to fiddle about with.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah, 6 AA batteries should be enough for 1000 Watt PMPO. :p

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,
    Bose do wireless speakers.
    Problem is after you've bought and listened to them you need the wire to hang yourself:eek:

Eric

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I recently bought a pair of Mission M7DS for rear duty and was surprised that there was nothing in the accompanying literature about placement - indeed, there was hardly anything in the literature about anything.

I needed to mount them about 6.5 feet off the floor and would love to know how one is supposed to test for placement except by getting a couple of strapping six footers to hold them up for a few hours whilst I watched a few films.

How about a rail running round the back of the room (like a monorail) with the speakers mounted on it. The rail could contain cables and connections and one could fiddle about with placement for hours.

If the rail could run round the front of the room as well the speakers could me moved out of the way when not being used which should increase the WAF of the system as no speakers would be on show for most of the day.

I haven't quite decided what the wife's reaction to the rail is but I am sure that if you were to tell her that it was something that you saw Laurence Llewelyn Bowen doing on Changing Rooms she would be bound to accept it as a brilliant design idea.

I am sure that I could come up with hundreds more wonderful ideas if I put my mind to it but I think that I will go and have a coffee instead.

Ian

6. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,
    Monorails round the back of the room?
    You need to get some caffeine down you quick:eek:

Eric

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Presumably wireless speakers are the future when the technology is perfected.

As rear speakers tend to be mounted high on the walls they will have mains cables to contend with instead of speaker cable.

Should we prepare for the future now by having all new houses built with electricity sockets in the ceiling at the back of the room or should I go and have some more coffee

Ian

8. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice suggestion about the rails, however my house is an old cottage with oak beams to contend with, to clear the beams the rails would need to be at shoulder height.

Having high level sockets is not such a bad idea, it might be worth doing anyway - take a look at most of the wall and ceiling lights in Ikea, most come with a plug, so high level sockets would also solve lighting problems too.

I'm thinking though of a battery pack like you get on a mobile phone or perhaps an even slimmer but wider version. If everything is wireless, the speaker could have a battery cell built in, when you have finished listening you simply pack the speakers away and re-charge them.

BTW What's wrong with the Bose speakers Eric?

9. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,
    More to the point is whats right with them.
    Tiny paper cones in small plastic box's is not optimum for speaker design. The word ridgidity or lack of it come to mind.

In my opinion Bose make the most overated worst value for money speakers on the planet.
    I say over rated because no audiphile actually rates them, thats done very efficiently by Bose's marketing.
    In a recent reply from the highly regarded 'The Perfect Vision' magazine to a reader who wrote about lack of Bose reviews in the magazine, the writer basicly said as he had heard Bose products, and in his view they were not even worthy of a review.
    He went on to say that these (Bose and B&O) were marketing driven products rather than performance driven.
    In other words, most of Bose's budget goes on advertising and hype and very little actually goes on improving the speakers themselves.
    Its also been said that these speakers cost as little as 5 dollars to produce.
    Sounds to me like anyone looking for this type of speaker would do better buying PC speakers and keeping 90% of the money in their pockets.

Eric

10. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit I have never heard any apart from in pubs (not the best listening place) so I have always been taken in by the hype.

Thanks for the info.