Question Wireless solution for my setup

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by PumpingtonSteel, Jul 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. PumpingtonSteel

PumpingtonSteel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    hello,
    I'm putting together my little amp and speakers kit in a room and have a missing element
    the amp is the Yamaha AS501 (speakers out of interest Dynaudio M20)
    it's going to be connected by wires to a few bits - a DJ controller with in-build mixer and turntable on one channel and maybe an AV setup that's centred around a computer....
    but on the whole, my music comes from spotify and the iOS native mp3 player, coming from a portable device (either phone or iPad)
    I want to play them wirelessly, although the room doesn't really have wifi so am looking at bluetooth or alternative solutions. I don't mind a bit of compression/quality loss within reason - i'm already going to get that from the source anyway
    the official bluetooth adapter at the time is the now discontinued YBA-11 - 5 years old and I think bluetooth 2.* rare examples on ebay go for more than original RRP and rational price
    but from what I can tell, I'm far from tied in to this

please do excuse my inexperience/lack of knowledge but this is the first time I'm going wireless apart from the wifi based apple express and this is my first standalone amp so I'm still making baby steps.
    I would like to please know what you guys would suggest as the wireless solution for this set up?
    thanks

2. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    How will you get Spotify without a wireless connection, unless you are hardwiring phone or ipad to your router.

A Chromecast Audio (£30) will do what you want if you can find that elusive wireless or the other alternative is to also purchase the Chromecast ethernet adaptor (£15) if you need to hardwire it.

3. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    I absolutely 100% recommend the CCA as they are brilliant little devices, however I don't think they work as well for iOS devices as they do for Android devices. I haven't got an iOS device to try but I think playing from the native player can't be streamed to a Chance audio unless that's changed recently.

4. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    ^
    Cinch for Chromecast ‎Cinch for Chromecast on the App Store

Description

Cinch is the easiest way to stream music, photos, and videos located on your iPhone or iPad to any Chromecast device.

Why use Cinch?

• The only Chromecast app that can stream full music playlists from start to finish. No need to constantly go back and change songs!

5. PumpingtonSteel

PumpingtonSteel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    spotify will run off cellular data or offline playlists.
    chromecast adapter was my first thought but upon researching, there were scathing reviews from mainstream tech sites - the summary was it was fine for teenage girls sharing songs between snapchats or words to that effect. But if it's getting the stamp of approval by you guys, I will give it a try. I think a friend has a spare I can borrow to test it out.
    Still happy to consider any other recommendations in the meantime
    thanks guys

6. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
  7. muljao

muljao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +755
    Chromecast audio is great, when you say no WiFi, have you internet in the house at all?

8. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Just go for the Yamaha WXAD-10, as this supports Bluetooth but also wired and wireless networking, so you can stream via AirPlay at higher quality in the future. Also supports MusicCast so you are multi-room ready.

9. Kamakazie

Kamakazie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I'd echo the CCA suggestions if you can get a network connection.
    I was looking around at various multiroom solutions and things like RaspberryPi but having bought a CCA to test I'll be using them in multiple locations now.

Unbeatable without spending significantly more money or time on a solution and even then I'd be dubious about getting noticeable quality improvements.

10. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    If you only want Bluetooth then get a TP-LINK HA100 HD Bluetooth Stereo Audio Music Receiver Adapter. They only cost £20 and work well.

11. PumpingtonSteel

PumpingtonSteel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    cheers guys.
    my place does have wifi but it's run and operated by someone and I'm not yet sure if they let everyone unrestricted access to the network, and also how the signal will travel as there's a few solid walls between me and the router.
    I'll wait until I'm set up and know this before deciding on the TP Link or the yamaha. thanks