Wireless signal help - graph pic inside

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by davemulheran, Jun 14, 2009.

1. davemulheran

davemulheran
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hi Guys. Can I run this past you please for some advice

below is a graph showing the connection speeds of all my devices in my home.. connected to my time capsule (dual version)

[​IMG]

my 5 devices

Orange - Mac Mini, 5ghz wireless, 3 metres from time capsule

Green - iMac, 5ghz wireless, 5 metres from time capsule

Blue - Apple TV, 5ghz wireless, Upstairs directly 4 metres from time capsule

Black - PC, n wireless usb adapter, 8 metres away

Red - iPhone, g wireless, currently 5 metres away

Now all the Rates are as expected APART from my imac (green)... its always going up/down as low as 96 to as high as 270.. only ever once that i have seen. Have I got something amiss on the imac?

shouldnt it be a static 270 like the ATV and mini? these remain at 270 and never change

the imac reading is all over the place :confused:

can anyone hazard a guess as to what could be wrong?

thks

Dave

2. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    You're really getting good at this :smashin:, aren't you?

The signal level for the iMac (green) is -57, the lowest of the three connecting at 5GHz. It is common for the wireless performance/rate to fluctuate for low signal levels.

Try turning you iMac around and see if you see a difference.

EDIT: the next worst performer is at -54 - double the signal level. This may give you a clue on physical position, etc.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  3. davemulheran

davemulheran
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hi mate.. im getting there. slowly!

the imac is on the dining room table, looking virtually directly at the time capsule. I'm just at a loss as to why the rate fluctuates so much for it.. whereas the mini / ATV are all solid 270.

something must be on in the background perhaps to disrupt the imac signal? I have nothing downloading on the imac at all... Internet is stil fine on it.. but im a touch anal and would like all my 5ghz devices operating at the same signal as they really should be...

could it be worth changing the channel thatt he imac is using? not that I know how! :confused::confused:

EDIT - - or possibly I have a problem with my airport card in the imac? seems the highest / longest rate the imac hits is 135..... strange coincidence that 135 is half of 270.. the max static rates of the other N 5ghz equipment.... ??

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  4. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    You're on the peripheral of the "black art" of radio engineering... ;)

Well, your iMac is 1 metre further than the next closest one. Try moving your TC or iMac to decrease that distance.

Doubt it is the background since the noise level is similar to that of the MacMini.

Try changing the channel number. It's on Airport>Wireless>RadioChannelSelection>Manual, then Airport>Wireless>Edit.

If nothing helps - even if the TC is next to the iMac - then the iMac's wireless hardware may need looking into, but you do need to sound like a RF expert :D .

5. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    Another thing - is there any computer peripheral attached to your iMac? Eg., an external HDD?

I've just disconnected an external USB HDD to my AEBS and the connection went from 100+ to at least 240Mbps!