• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Wireless signal from Router

mikeclark007

I've had this problem for ages now but thought I'd ask for any advice on here.

My wireless router is located in my hall way and can be picked up at full signal from anywhere in the flat and approx 10m outside the flat but struggles intermittently in our bedroom which is only next to the hall way!

Any idea what could be causing this? I've read about interference from digital land line phones before but this is surely irrelevant given the rest of the flat is spot on. I even tried unplugging it anyway.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Might well be interference from another router in another flat, interference from a central heating system, signal degradation due to microwave ovens... The list is endless.

As the spectrum becomes more congested with more and more wifi devices coming along, small dead spots become more and more common.

I have found that moving the router a metres can make a massive difference, as does adding a little height to the position of it.

AlexS

It could be wireless channel interference. Try downloading the InSSIDer utility and scan for wireless channels in use nearby. Then change the wireless channel on your router to a free channel
Download Wireless Troubleshooting Software | MetaGeek
Most people seem to use the USA channel recommendations of 1,6 or 11 as in the USA they can only use channels 1-11. In the UK we can use channels 1-13 so ch13 is usually a good place to start.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
In addition to the interference possibilities (other routers, cordless phones etc.) the wall between router aerial and bedroom might be a good RF screen or blocker; as an example, this would be the case if you had foil lined plasterboard in the RF path.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom