• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Wireless Router with range limiter?

Wiione

Established Member
Can anyone recommend a decent router with a wireless range limiting facility, ie an option that allows you to adjust the wireless signal strength so I don't end up broadcasting beyond the bounds of my property?

Thanks

Fe_man2000

Prominent Member
I would recommend better security on the router - I have done some work with IT security consultants on our companies wireless and they had wireless kit that could connect to very weak signals or at long distances. Theres no stopping it. If your really concerned get powerline plugs.

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Can anyone recommend a decent router with a wireless range limiting facility, ie an option that allows you to adjust the wireless signal strength so I don't end up broadcasting beyond the bounds of my property?

Thanks
I can't help but wonder why you would want to do that?

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
As has been said before, for security, just use strong encryption. Current encryption (WPA2 with a long random key) will defeat anyone but NSA or GCHQ. (So unless you live in Maryland or Cheltenham I think it unlikely that any neighbours will have enough kit.)

Last edited:

Iccz

Distinguished Member
As others have said, unless you live near an airport or somewhere that requires you to lower signal strength, then don't bother, just use the correct encryption and you'll be fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom