wireless router security help?

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
hi

im about to get a new router , linksys wrt54gl to replace an older model i have, now when i replace it i would like to make it pretty secure ,but im unsure on whats best. its only for home use.

should i use WEP or WPA ?

if i disable SSID broadcasting is it possible for me to still setup my wireless printer to the network?

is there a way to have the router just recognise devices in my home such as ps3,laptop...?

if the router generates a WEP or WPA password is it better to change it to something else?

thanks for any advice

Kristian

should i use WEP or WPA ?

Neither; use WPA2

if i disable SSID broadcasting is it possible for me to still setup my wireless printer to the network?

Yes, you just have to tell it the SSID as the printer won't be able to 'see' the SSID. That goes for any other device too.

is there a way to have the router just recognise devices in my home such as ps3,laptop...?

Yes, sort of; but it's not worth the grief imho. You can use MAC address filtering to only allow certain MAC addresses to connect - it only works for the wireless side and is easily spoofed anyway. You could also limit which devices get IP addresses from your DHCP pool, but again it's not worth the grief.

if the router generates a WEP or WPA password is it better to change it to something else?

Use a long but [relatively] easily remember passcode/phrase that's unique to you.

Kris.

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
thanks for that , as for mac filtering i may leave that then but just in case i do it , my ps3 would be wired to my router using homeplugs would that still need to be mac filtered or is it only for things that are wireless?

also is WPA2 just more secure than WPA?

thanks for the help

Kristian

thanks for that , as for mac filtering i may leave that then but just in case i do it , my ps3 would be wired to my router using homeplugs would that still need to be mac filtered or is it only for things that are wireless?

Only for wireless devices.

also is WPA2 just more secure than WPA?

Yes. Newer routers tend to be optimised for WPA2 so can be a bit quicker than when using < WPA2.

You're welcome.

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
what is the range of the linksys wrt54gl as i may decide to leave the ssid broadcasting on if the range is not big

thankyou:)

Kristian

what is the range of the linksys wrt54gl as i may decide to leave the ssid broadcasting on if the range is not big

thankyou:)

Not a clue. It depends on where you site the router, how thick your walls/ceilings are, what they are made of, what interference you have, the sensitivity of the receiving devices etc...

Disabling the SSID broadcast will only stop non techy people from 'seeing' your network. They won't be able to connect to it because of the WPA2 encryption. Free downloadable tools allow anyone with an interest to see all of the nearby wireless networks anyway so I wouldn't worry about leaving the SSID b/c enabled.

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
hi again

ive now setup my new security , it seemed easy enough:), im now using
WPA2 instead of WEP , i decided to not bother with the mac filtering and hiding my ssid broadcast but im happy knowing that my wireless security is a bit more secure.

i also recentlly got a new router linksys wrt54gl because i thought my current one was knackered but the last couple of days its been fine. what i would like to ask is weather its worth changing my linksys wrt54gs to the my new
wrt54gl, personally i dont see the point now but its handy to have as a spare?

cheers

Kristian

ive now setup my new security , it seemed easy enough:), im now using WPA2 instead of WEP , i decided to not bother with the mac filtering and hiding my ssid broadcast but im happy knowing that my wireless security is a bit more secure.

Glad you got it sorted.

i also recentlly got a new router linksys wrt54gl because i thought my current one was knackered but the last couple of days its been fine. what i would like to ask is weather its worth changing my linksys wrt54gs to the my new
wrt54gl, personally i dont see the point now but its handy to have as a spare?

cheers

I don't know anything about these two routers, sorry.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom