Wireless router recommendations for Xbox Live

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone in here recommend me a 54MBps (G rated) wireless router I can use on Live without restriction? I have a Netgear WGR614 at the moment, but it is rated as "strict", and I'd like to upgrade to one I can use without compatability problems, ie. rated as "open" on Live. At the moment, I cannot go into some peoples rooms or if I can they are muted to me. V annoying.

I have my eyes on the Linksys WRT54G but I'd like confirmation it's rated as "open" on Live first. If anyone here has one, can they confirm they get an NT setting of "1" setting in the dashboard (Settings>Network Settings>Connect>Press Y on controller>Press A on controller). If anyone doesn't undersand what the hell I'm going on about, check out this useful page on the Xbox site which explains about whether your router is Open, Moderate or Strict. This would appear to be the source of many compatability problems on Live.

toysrus of all places have started doing network stufff, i picked up a cable braodband wireless router and a wireless bridge for £100 works great, i seem to get less lag now then when i had a 50 foot cable. they also do an adsl version but is 20 quid more.
it worked straight out of the box installed one driver for the router and had it set up and runnig within 10 mins

I use Linksys 54G kit for live (Loft) And Laptop (Kitchen / Lounge / dinning room). Router is on second floor. Its great the range is unbelievable. I can use my laptop on the web at the road, at least 100m from the Wireless Router !

Got my stuff from Amazon, its cheap enough.

Word to the wise, I didnt find it particullarly easy to setup Xbox live with a wireless bridge.

If memory serves me right Microsoft released an Xbox compatible ethernet bridge that will save you having to fiddle with the settings. I use a D-Link DI-614 wireless router and a D-Link wireless ethernet bridge DWL-810+. The following link tells you how to get it Xbox compatible. I have had no real probs connecting with this setup.

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1277

Suppose the other option is to make a DMZ on Your Router for your Xbox this solved my nats problem and brought my connectivety back down to 1

UncagedTyphoon said:
Suppose the other option is to make a DMZ on Your Router for your Xbox this solved my nats problem and brought my connectivety back down to 1
Yeah - I tried that but still got a 3 rating, but I'm no networking expert, so maybe I'd not done it quite right? Couldn't work it out.

Anyways, the Linksys router just gave me a 1 rating straight off though, no messing about. Wish I'd have known about it sooner...

Sorry I missed the bit in you first post about the compatability issue :blush: The Linksys 54g stuff works fine with live and they will support it as welll if you have difficulties.

This is how I was told how to do it its soo simple I felt like a right dumb arse after

so find your DMZ section on router
turn on the Xbox and go to where the ip address for Xbox is
then put this ip address in the DMZ ip address
and save and reboot the router
Job done

Told you it was simple

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom