Wireless Router and I Mac question

gerbilly

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have an old I Mac Blueberry G3, and have recently puchased a new I Mac.

We currently have Telewest Broadband in our bedroom which will be getting moved to our living room where the new I mac will be going. The Old I Mac will stay in my kids room for them to use, what I would like to know is if I buy a wireless router will my kids be able to surf the tinternet via this or will I need specific hardware or software within the old I Mac.

I would be grateful to all those computer boffins out there, Dont Desert me Boffins!!!!:D

Don't know anythong about MACs but it should just need a wireless card in the old MAC to communicate with the router and (as with a normal PC) there should be software with the MAC's wireless device to set up and enable connection to the router.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

Don't know anythong about MACs but it should just need a wireless card in the old MAC to communicate with the router and (as with a normal PC) there should be software with the MAC's wireless device to set up and enable connection to the router.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

I may be nackered then as I dont think I have wireless card in my old I mac.

I assumed you wanted a wireless router to get a wireless connection.
Surely you can buy USB or internal wireless cards for MACs ?

Otherwise you could get a wired router (slightly cheaper) and run an ethernet cable between the old MAC and the router - assuming it has a LAN port (Ethernet port) built in - or purchase an ethernet card for it.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

you'll need an airport extreme card. It might be better to used wired connection to the G3 imac and use the new imac for wireless as the new one might already have airport card installed. Check settings on it before you buy anything.

Belkin modem/router works well with macs by the way

I am using a G3 imac (400mHz) on a wireless network. We are with telewest, and use a DLINK wireless router.
First option on the imac is a DLink dwl-122 usb dongle, this works reasonably well, but can be a bit hit or miss on picking up the signal.
The other option we use, with better success, is a Zoom 4240? gaming bridge, this connects via the ethernet socket on the mac, and works very well. This gets swopped between the mac and an xbox.
The router is about £45 and now comes with a usb dongle (USB 2.0 so not too good on this imac).
The Zoom unit is about £32 and the dwl-122 around £20.
If you need any more info, drop me a line.
fred

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom