1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wireless repeater help

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by hornydragon, Nov 4, 2004.

1. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK i havve an 802.11b wireless network running ntl 750k DSL coonection and linksys wireless router signal seems very weak (perhaps due to age of house blask ash mortar walls) so i bought an access point from this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157394&highlight=repeater
    to use as a repeater to improve signal in bedroom however i cant find any info as to how to set it up as a repeater tried here http://www.usr-emea.com/support/s-prod-template.asp?loc=unkg&prod=2249 but no luck so far can anyone help?

2. dsp fan

dsp fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon is it a B wireless device or G- ? G will have more reach in theory however from the link its seems it is 11mbps hence B. So what can you do, you could buy better aerials for the linksys box and pci/wireless card .

http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=33&scid=38

I am not sure if the belkin will act as a repeater in a linksys network. I know if you want to rome around from access point to access point in a building you need all the same hardware ie all linksys or cisco for example, i think that the repeater works the same. Linksys do one
    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=629

for G networks but not sure if available in the UK yet.

Anyway hope that gives you a direction if all other technical avenues fail, i think im right I worked for a wireless company, but i am not overly technical.

sorry could not help further

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    thanx mate its all wireless B I have PC and 2 laptops and one is centrino laptop (built in wireless) and that has most issues (but its the missuses, so i am getting loads of stick....) might have to sell the USR and buy a linksys..... but router is 6 feet from bed and wont work!!!!!
    how do itell if i need TNC or SMA connectors?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK worked out i need TNC connectors

5. dsp fan

dsp fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah saw your post after i sent mine, basically the descriptions are quite clear and there is an aerial which takes into consideration close proximity.

Good luck and let me know if you source the linksys repeater / extender. I think dabs is a great place to get stuff, enter the part number in the search box and it usually comes back with the result.

regards

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HornyDragon, sorry this is a silly question but have you used the web interface to configure it as Repeater?

ISTR I upgraded it so you need the latest version of the Configuration program from the page you mentioned in your post.

Dave

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    connected it to A PC and there was no repeater option..... just access point bridge AP client and multi bridge

8. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had another look at my original thread and when I entered the update to it I cut and pasted that list from the USR site. It seems they have since edited it to remove the repeater bit!

Can you explain in more detail how your network hangs together? What are you connecting the USR thing to? is it a switch or a PC or what?

If you are un-happy with it you can of course send it back and I'll give you a refund

Dave

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Just set it up exactly the same way as a standard AP on the same channel as your existing one. If you set it as a repeater it would reduce the througput by half on your network. No need to do that. Just run 2 x APs as I do oin my network (Netgear stuff) and all works like a dream

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Messiahwould i ned to wire it to router?
    Dave i have a an ntl cable modem connected to a linksys router Model number BERW11S4 which has 2 antennas there is a PC at front of house gets good signal and second rom in has a latop gets very poor signal if you walk into lounge where router is gets a good (excellent signal) but g back into bedroom and drops to low. but if you boot up in bedroom it gets no signal have changed antenna array and channel......
    Dave i can use the AP elsewhere just it doesnt do what i need to sort (this set-upis at my GF flat and its driving her nuts.............

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yes, I have mine wired to the router and maybe that is how I can use it the way I have. My wireless network is now perfect though with max signal all around the house.

12. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you dont need to walk around with the laptop you could plug the AP into it and see if it gets a better signal (assuming the laptop has a network port).

PCMCIA Wireless cards don't have the best antenae in the world and built-in are probably worse.

Dave

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    needs to wal around and Messiahs idea wold require some floorlifting a cable running not an issue but rented property....thats why i went wireless......save the hasse of making good all the holes after 12 months

14. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have a spare hub or switch? you could try connecting it to that and configuring it as a bridge and installing it in the second room? I'm not familiar with this setting but it may be worth a try.

Dave

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    not to hand at the moment I may try finding the extra gain antennas see if they help......